Objectivism Online Forum

cigarettes, tattoos, and homosexuality

Rate this topic

otemporaomores

My tats are aesthetic and serve as an eloquent reminder of the principles and goals I have dedicated myself to embody. If I had more money, I'd certain have more ink.

Unless you're the guy from Memento, why do you need a reminder permanently on your skin?

Also, why is your skin more aesthetic with ink on it, than without? I know the people who make Hollywood movies routinely make a serious effort to cover up any ink that's on beautiful women's skin. Why would they do that, if ink is more aesthetic?

Are they all wrong? Do you find women more beautiful if they are covered in ink?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you're the guy from Memento, why do you need a reminder permanently on your skin?

He didn't say or imply he needed a reminder. It is possible he simply wanted a reminder.

Also, why is your skin more aesthetic with ink on it, than without? I know the people who make Hollywood movies routinely make a serious effort to cover up any ink that's on beautiful women's skin. Why would they do that, if ink is more aesthetic?

Are they all wrong? Do you find women more beautiful if they are covered in ink?

That's one long straw man ya got there pad'na. Is it possible that the standard for the propriety of tattoos is not beautiful women involved in Hollywood pictures? Is it possible that tattoos are not appropriate for the specific characters they are playing in the movies? Why is it that I have seen "Hollywood movies" with actors and actresses that had tattoos? Does that now make tattoos okay?

In a podcast, Peikoff let out that he thinks tattoos are a violation of the natural beauty of a person's body. Welp, I just don't see it that way. Sure, many bodies are beautiful, but since I like the way tattoos look, the same body would also be beautiful with tattoos... just in a different way. Furthermore, some tattoos cover up or take attention away from ugly things on a body.

Of course there are good and bad tattoos, for a variety of reasons. Are they cheaply applied? Are they in a flattering spot? Why did the person get the tattoos (what is the meaning to him?)?

I view tattoos like I view fashion or even flavor taste: to each his own, we are probably not going to know any time soon why we like these kinds of things.

I believe the same logic could make these points about any form of art:

Why do you need a concretization of your values on a piece of canvas? Does that paint actually make you realize what you valued all along? What makes it aesthetic? There are people who prefer bare walls, are they all wrong?

I like to have the reminder, because when I see the images it invokes my pride and a feeling of dedication. That makes it aesthetic.