Objectivism Online Forum

Julie and Julia

Rate this topic

After reading recommendations by some Objectivists, yesterday I went to watch Julie and Julia. It turned out to be lively, delectable, and refreshing experience.

The movie is based on two real life stories: one of an American cook Julia Child, who with her perseverance brought French cuisine to American homes, and the other of a blogger Julie Powell, who set herself a unique culinary challenge.

Julia Child, as depicted in the movie, had a joyous and benevolent sense of life. Her flourished accent, her spontaneous humor, and her ability to find joy not only in her cooking but also in routine activities (like buying vegetables), were enough to make me sit straight and giggle. At one point in the movie, I wondered if she had been deliberately depicted as jocular (perhaps as an apology for depicting her heroism), but my doubts were dispensed with once I got home and saw real Julia Child on YouTube.

Julie Powell's character had a slightly lesser appeal to me. She turns from a bored-at-work young woman to a determined sleepless soul firmly focussed on her newly-found goal. She does have a tendency to be guided by her emotions, but I think the movie expertly portrays her conflict, and how she overcomes it solely by her free will. For example,

she resists being bogged down by her mother's advice. I especially loved the scene, when she rises back and forth on her bed in a dilemma (after her husband leaves her) and ultimately gets up and goes for shopping.

Food played a central part in the movie, but it was not over-depicted. Yummy close-ups were shown just at the right time to make your mouth watery. I personally loved that there was no violence, not even a swear word, even during the AMC commercials in the beginning. And when we entered the theater, it was full of really old folks - I and my friends must have been the only youth present.

Some parts in the movie were a bit boring. Julie's office atmosphere, her friends, and her not-so-solemn talks about Julia being in her dreams, were trite and bland. I also had a bit of a trouble shifting my focus when the movie switched (back and forth) between the two stories.

But overall, Julie and Julia is a rare movie about setting up your goals and achieving them, and it shows that in a lighthearted manner.

EDIT: Removed some typos.

Edited by Rockefeller

• 2 weeks later...