Objectivism Online Forum

Michael Savage Removed From Radio

Rate this topic

Some of his views are rather fascist. What's his appeal?

Fascist? I've never heard him advocate government control of industry. Quite the opposite. His appeal is in calling a spade a spade and advocating personal responsibility and limited, constitutional government.

I thought the self-proclaimed Communist Van Jones was appointed as the "Green Jobs" Czar. Mark Lloyd is the new FCC "Chief Diversity Officer" and just the fact that such a person exists makes me suspicious of this Administration's motives. I doubt he had anything to do with Savage leaving his 'Frisco station, but radio station owners are not living in a vacuum. They can feel the way the regulatory winds are blowing and it wouldn't surprise me if some weaker stations were to change formats, just to avoid the possibility of confrontation with the regulators.

I got the name wrong, sorry. Yes, I was thinking that the pressure can be direct and indirect. One thing is certain, Obama is serious about this. He "doubled down" on socialized medicine, and I'm sure he'll do the same here.

I don't know, I suspect. The evidence I provided is the reason I suspect this.

Well evidence would be something that links Obama, or the FCC, to this firing. The fact that Obama could've conceivably be trying to silence political opposition is not enough reason to suspect him in this case, anymore than I have any reason to suspect Jeffrey Dahmer over the death of my very old great grandfather. Sure, Dahmer was a serial killer, but there was no evidence that he killed my great grandfather. So everyone, logically, assumed he died of natural causes. They had reason to assume that, since he was quite old and in poor health.

The same way, I have found some very convincing reasons to suspect Michael Savage went off the air from SF, for some very different reasons: a 1.1 market share that put the station he was on into 28th place, for three months straight, in SF. Are you saying that, assuming no pressure whatsoever, you would've kept Savage on this station, if you were running the company that employs him?

Edited by Jake_Ellison

Fascist? I've never heard him advocate government control of industry. Quite the opposite. His appeal is in calling a spade a spade and advocating personal responsibility and limited, constitutional government.

That sounds nothing like the Michael Savage I've heard. Just off the top of my head I've heard him claim that gays and transsexuals should be beaten by police if they act out in public, that Mexicans are trying to hijack the Federal Government and should all be rounded up and deported, and that Obama was born in Kenya, etc.

So you are saying that the poor ratings I linked to had nothing to do with his firing, it was pressure from the FCC? Do you have any evidence?

Yeah, I don't see where the FCC had anything to do with the SF thing. Fired? Again, he's syndicated, so the station decided not to air him because of ratings. That is what it is. Air America didn't make it in liberal markets either so...

As for the FCC, there has been continued talk about a "fairness doctrine". This would limit the amount of time that specific "kinds" of programing would be allowed on a station. So, let's say that your station caters to listeners that prefer a lot of conservative talk radio. Makes it a place where a person looking for that kind of talk could listen all day, and then certain advertisers could focus on that demographic. Has been a pretty powerful opportunity for stations that decide to do that in many markets. The "fairness doctrine" would regulate that private programing specifically in spite of government funds proping up National Public Radio in the United States that has a very focused programing toward collective, statist types.

Really, the FCC was designed to just keep radio stations from overlapping upon each other in their markets. Example: you wouldn't want to allow two stations of FM94.1 so near each other that their transmission area overlapped.

Either way, "Michael Savage Removed from Radio" is incorrect. And "Michael Savage fired" is also incorrect. He lost a station. I'm with Jake, no pressure that I can recognize from the FCC, and that station certainly had the right to do as such based upon their business needs and contractural obligations.

Right after September 11, 2001 Dr. Savage said this on his radio show:

"We have a man I agree with thoroughly... We have a man I agree with totally which is why I invited him on the show. I don't ever invite anyone on the show unless I agree with him. It's pointless. His name is Dr. Leonard Peikoff. He's the founder of the Ayn Rand Institute..."

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9sdQcwmdCs

He can agree with Peikoff's ideas on how to handle the situation. Why he agrees with them is what is so crucial.

I present a video:

Is that how you handle an argument?

Well evidence would be something that links Obama, or the FCC, to this firing. The fact that Obama could've conceivably be trying to silence political opposition is not enough reason to suspect him in this case, anymore than I have any reason to suspect Jeffrey Dahmer over the death of my very old great grandfather. Sure, Dahmer was a serial killer, but there was no evidence that he killed my great grandfather. So everyone, logically, assumed he died of natural causes. They had reason to assume that, since he was quite old and in poor health.

The FCC has control over radio stations across the nation, and with Obama they have an axe to grind against talk radio, specifically right wing talk radio. Michael Savage is high profile talk show host who expresses strong anti-Obama opinion. These are my reasons for suspecting the FCC. Not to mention the fact that Michael Savage himself thinks he was fired for anti-Obama rhetoric. So, I think my position is stronger than you give credit for.

To be sure, I don't know, this is why I said I suspect.

The same way, I have found some very convincing reasons to suspect Michael Savage went off the air from SF, for some very different reasons: a 1.1 market share that put the station he was on into 28th place, for three months straight, in SF. Are you saying that, assuming no pressure whatsoever, you would've kept Savage on this station, if you were running the company that employs him?

That's fine. You have a good argument and you may be right. Or, it may be a combination of the two.

That sounds nothing like the Michael Savage I've heard. Just off the top of my head I've heard him claim that gays and transsexuals should be beaten by police if they act out in public, that Mexicans are trying to hijack the Federal Government and should all be rounded up and deported, and that Obama was born in Kenya, etc.

Sounds to me like you are taking things out of context and making extrapolations.