Peter Schiff For Senate!

Rate this topic

brian0918

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If indeed Schiff is, as people have stated, rather socially liberal in the truest sense then the Republican party will not have him. They will not support his candidacy and they would definitely put an establishment Republican politician up against him. Ron Paul still gets money from the RNC most likely because he supports their big planks of opposing gay marriage, abortion and open immigration.

Would he then be allowed in the DNC? Well they do sponsor Joe Lieberman who, while not be at all a good representative, is certainly a maverick and opposes his party willingly. But of course they aren't just going to cut support for Dodd and give it to a supporter of the free market. So really, how optimistic could we be that Mr. Schiff's campaign would even get off the ground?

Schiff sounds like he'll be most at home with the Libertarians; so, I doubt he'll be a senator anytime soon.

I think he is serious enough a person that he would not be on the libertarian ticket.

I think he is serious enough a person that he would not be on the libertarian ticket.
He comes across as someone who is committed to what he thinks is right, and is not about to compromise in order to get elected. I assume that if he runs -- which I doubt -- it will be to take what he considers to be a principled stand. That's why I cannot imagine him joining either main party. The only other possibility is that he runs for a GOP seat in some district that cares very little about social conservatism.

• 1 month later...

Peter Schiff had a pretty successful fund-raising event last Friday, which has actually broken a Connecticut fund-raising record. During the event, Peter had an hour-long online interview, during which he stated that he is PRO-CHOICE, 100% for the woman's right to choose.

Anybody familiar with Schiff knows that this is a very encouraging remark. For anybody unaware, Schiff is one of the most prominent, early, and vocal Austrian economists who predicted the economic collapse (for the first time back in 2003 or so). He runs a successful boutique investment firm called Euro Pacific Capital, which has made fortunes for their clients by purchasing a lot of precious metals, commodities, and foreign stocks.

He is strongly considering a senate run against Chris Dodd in 2010, in my state of Connecticut. He will run as a Republican.

I have made a supporter group on Schiff's campaign website called Objectivists For Peter Schiff. I strongly encourage the Objectivist community to support Peter Schiff's campaign, as he has a realistic chance of winning the election. His hurdle will be getting the Republican nomination, and so far the competition is NOT strong!

Visit his site at www.schiffforsenate.com

Thanks in advance for the consideration!

Edited by Andrew Grathwohl

I too was very encouraged to find out that Schiff is pro-choice. I gave him $25 because of it. I'd like to know what he thinks about the anarchist element within libertarianism and the neo-confederates who populate the Mises Institute. I'm optimistic about Schiff but still cautious.

I too was very encouraged to find out that Schiff is pro-choice. I gave him $25 because of it. I'd like to know what he thinks about the anarchist element within libertarianism and the neo-confederates who populate the Mises Institute. I'm optimistic about Schiff but still cautious.

From what I've seen, Schiff isn't an anarchist, even though he associates himself with plenty of them. He's a libertarian who supports laissez-faire capitalism and the seperation of economy and state. He has agreed with Yaron Brook during an episode of Freedom Watch on Fox that the only proper role of government is to protect rights. (Note that he isn't an Objectivist, however, but has called himself an Ayn Rand fan.)

From what I've seen, Schiff isn't an anarchist, even though he associates himself with plenty of them. He's a libertarian who supports laissez-faire capitalism and the seperation of economy and state. He has agreed with Yaron Brook during an episode of Freedom Watch on Fox that the only proper role of government is to protect rights. (Note that he isn't an Objectivist, however, but has called himself an Ayn Rand fan.)

I would consider Schiff a capitalist, not a libertarian. He is said to be against the closed borders system we presently run, and has said many times (and even in the company of Yaron Brook) that selfishness is a virtue. That separates him from almost all populist/anarchist libertarians.

Peter Schiff needs the support of all people who think that government is too big. IF he is an Objectivist he will not say so. However, I think he is just very well read in the work on Ayn Rand and one of the better libertarians. He certainly is not an anarchist.

Peter is not an Objectivist, but I don't think he's opposed to it either. I think the best way to describe it is that he simply has placed his priorities differently, and has not made it a point to deeply commit to following a strict, serious philosophy. However, there's little evidence to suggest that any one policy position he holds would be contradictory to an Objectivist's position.

He is most certainly not an anarchist.

I can't find an actual Issues page on the site. Is this because it's just an unofficial site or what? Schiff certainly interests me.

He hasn't actually announced he is running yet, but he should announce by labor day. His "campaign" is in its VERY early stages. The website was put up less than a week ago. The only reason that he has as many fans as he does now is because of his diehard following in the Austrian Economics circles, among mainstream media financial coverage, and the small subsection of "Ron Paul Republicans" who took a liking to him because he was one of Ron Paul's financial advisers during the 2008 campaign. I should make it clear, however, that he has significantly different positions on a number of issues from Ron Paul - he was only affiliated with Ron Paul for their agreements on the economy.

It is an official site. Maybe he will have an issues page once the exploratory commitee transforms into an actual campaign. He might also just run on his economic knowledge.

I've wondered if he isn't a closet Objectivist, or at least an Objectivist sympathizer. Apart from his affiliation with Ron Paul there's nothing about him that's incompatible with Objectivism.

He recommends reading "Capitalism the Unknown Ideal" on his website.

Check out this incredible speech made by Schiff a few weeks ago. He mentions how this economy was a failure of government, not capitalism.

http://www.booktv.org/Watch/10746/FreedomF...ter+Schiff.aspx

Edited by Andrew Grathwohl

• 3 weeks later...

I've been promoting Schiff in every way, every chance I get. This is the only guy I've seen in the political spectrum for the last 100 years that has been even close to the objectivist principles. He's got $100 dollars from me. And will get more after my next paycheck. Help this guy out!!

He comes across as someone who is committed to what he thinks is right, and is not about to compromise in order to get elected. I assume that if he runs -- which I doubt -- it will be to take what he considers to be a principled stand. That's why I cannot imagine him joining either main party. The only other possibility is that he runs for a GOP seat in some district that cares very little about social conservatism.

You're wrong. He's already committed to running, as soon as he raises 1.5 mil, or sooner if the next money bomb doesn't reach that amount (though, I think it will).

He is running in CT, which is not socially conservative at all. Fairfield County, his district, is one of the most liberal (socially) in the country, and is heavily economically conservative. He actually has the same social views as most Democrats AND Republicans in CT (pro-choice, against a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, against the war on drugs, etc.). He is an atheist, too. CT has a high percentage (comparatively) of atheists. He is running as a Republican, and he really isn't that far off base with most Republicans in my area. His foreign policy views are much more in line with the Objectivists, though, than mainstream Republicans.

PS: We should merge this thread with the other one in this same section.

Andrew is right about the political demographics of Fairfield County. It's a pretty interesting mix that might be receptive to Schiff.

Although if he's running for Senate, as the thread title states, the relevant demographics are those of CT as a whole and not just Fairfield County.