Objectivism Online Forum

Peter Schiff For Senate!

Rate this topic

brian0918

Also, the Dems will throw in a replacement candidate for Dodd, who will be much harder to beat than Dodd. You have to remember that the people Peter has to appeal to are not rational, not in the least. If a Dem candidate makes more promises of money and riches to the middle class, he'll get elected.

Edited by brian0918

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a Dem candidate makes more promises of money and riches to the middle class, he'll get elected.
Getting a decent candidate elected seems pretty futile if one has to do it by -- pretty much -- tricking the voters into voting for him.

Getting a decent candidate elected seems pretty futile if one has to do it by -- pretty much -- tricking the voters into voting for him.

Well, the candidate is going to be Robert Blumenthal - a very popular, well-liked veteran CT Democrat. PPPPolls just released the latest data on Blumenthal vs. the Republican candidates:

Blumenthal leads Rob Simmons 59-28, Linda McMahon 60-28, and Peter Schiff 63-23. It would take an epic collapse for him not to be Connecticut's next Senator.

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/20...ly-favored.html

These results do not surprise me at all.

• 2 weeks later...

The Hartfort Courant gives Peter some bad press over the fact that he is successful, going over the details of his personal wealth and what they call his "lack of faith" in the US economy.

http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-sc...0,1763929.story

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Peter Schiff is worth millions of dollars, but unlike one of his rivals, he does not intend to finance the bulk of his campaign. Schiff, a broker, author and financial pundit from Weston, says he has raised a total of close to $1.6 million, almost all of it in small donations from individuals. About $300,000 came in the past month.

"I don't mind spending some of my own money on the campaign but I'm running for a cause and I shouldn't be paying for it all myself,'' Schiff said. Schiff earned a salary of $17 million and reported dividends, interest and capital gains of at least $1.4 million over a 23-month period ending in mid-December, according to financial disclosure forms filed in connection with his run. Not listed among his assets is the Weston home he bought in December for $2.4 million.

[...]

His critics say those overseas investments, coupled with his oft-stated pessimism about the direction of the U.S. economy, reveal a lack of faith that they find inappropriate for someone running for one of the nation's highest offices. "At heart it's so unpatriotic,'' said Ed Anderson, a Democratic activist. He has already confronted Schiff about his foreign holdings at public events and plans to bring a Chinese flag in the future to underscore his point.

Of course they don't go into as much detail about his opponent's even greater fortune, but actually commend her for wanting to spend more of it on the race.

The Hartfort Courant gives Peter some bad press over the fact that he is successful, going over the details of his personal wealth and what they call his "lack of faith" in the US economy.

http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-sc...0,1763929.story

Of course they don't go into as much detail about his opponent's even greater fortune, but actually commend her for wanting to spend more of it on the race.

The comments are pretty damning. Unfortunately, they don't appear in the print edition. :/

The comments are pretty damning. Unfortunately, they don't appear in the print edition. :/

That "Democratic activist" is a despicable fat loser - a conspiracy fringe loon. I've seen him before - the Courant has been slanted against Schiff in a very obvious way since the beginning, and their focusing on Ed Anderson's comments only heightens this fact.

That was a good interview, all except his views on immigration. He wants all "illegals" to leave and then come back... why? Surely he doesn't buy into all the protectionist myths?

If he bought into the protectionist myths, then he would suggest that the illegals leave and never come back. He recognizes, as he indicated during the interview, that it needs to "become a lot easier to legally immigrate" into this country, because if immigrants want to work, then we should welcome them. Schiff only dislikes immigrants, illegal or otherwise, who mooch off the welfare state.

A lot of new press has been had by Peter since Obama's state of the union address:

"These politicians continue to wage war not on the terrorists that threaten our very way of life, but against the businesses supporting our economy and trying to add jobs."

http://blogs.courant.com/capitol_watch/201...tu-shows-t.html

It's becoming trendy for pols of every partisan stripe to lash out against Bernanke for failing to foresee the financial crisis, Schiff said. But how many of those politicians predicted the dangers ahead themselves, he asked.

"Nobody else understood or cared,'' Schiff said. "I saw it coming. I've got credibility criticizing Bernanke."

http://blogs.courant.com/capitol_watch/201...#comment-156466

Are there any recent polls showing where the various Republican candidates stand in terms of support?

The most recent polls still show him at about 4% among the various contenders, but against Blumenthal it's about 50-30, with 28% undecided. This primary is still anybody's game.

Simmons tops McMahon 37 - 27 percent in a Republican primary, with 4 percent for Schiff and 28 percent undecided, the independent Quinnipiac University poll finds.
Edited by Andrew Grathwohl

• 1 month later...
No! You should keep those quotes. They were an excellent summary of why Peter's campaign is so relevant to Objectivists!

Oh well, it's gone now. It's better that he has a Youtube version, I just didn't think anyone would bother dealing with that shitty Fox/Courant/Whatever-it-was site's video player.

Finally, he's put next to the two dolts he's running against. Hopefully the public can see them for how clueless they are, now. It's quite astonishing that with all their money, neither of them could bother to take some public speaking courses. I feel like I'm watching Night of the Living Dead.

Where are the last 2 videos?

Edited by brian0918

asked about bipartisan gridlock, the other candidates voiced confidence that, if elected, they could work with their Democratic colleagues. Schiff, gesturing with hands to underscore his points, wondered why bipartisanship was viewed as such a virtue.

"A lot of people say we need bipartisanship so we can overcome gridlock,'' Schiff said. "Well, I don't want to overcome gridlock if that's the only thing standing between us and more government. I want to change what's happening in Washington. I don't want to go to Washington to compromise my positions or my principles. I want to try and persuade and educate the other members of Congress to adopt my principles. ... We've been compromising for years, and look at the mess that we're in."

The contrast between Peter and the other two is striking. He also clearly showed he was the better public speaker.