Objectivism Online Forum

John Galt on Campus?

Rate this topic

wahooGalt

I woke up Monday morning to find that somebody, or probably several sombodies, had chalked "Who is John Galt?" all over campus at the University of Virginia. They were written in all colors and sizes, and some were accompanied by the dollar sign. They were literally everywhere, on stair cases, in front of doors, all over sidewalks, etc. (Unfortunately, it rained this afternoon and the chalk washed away.)

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Is this protest happening on other college campuses?

2) If the person who chalked at UVA reads this, who are you? Please contact me so that I can shake your hand and help you next time.

If there are any college students reading this that want to make a statement about much of what is happening in our country today, or wants to promote objectivism and Ayn Rand's novels at their school, I would definitely recommend this strategy. I overheard many people asking, "So what's with all this John Galt stuff" or "Who is John Galt?" around campus.

Thanks!

Does graffiti with chalk still count as graffiti?

Actually since it doesn't damage private property wouldn't it be the only acceptable O'ist graffiti? :D

Joking aside, I wonder how seriously the people who did that take O'ism seeing as minor vandalism was their chosen method of getting the word out.

That's why I asked if it counts as graffiti still. If it does, then it violates property rights, unless these students asked whoever has the authority beforehand if they could chalk the campus.

It's a cool idea and might get some people interested, but I think flyers and posters in designated areas would be more proper. Just large white posters with big block, black coloured letters. And then I think there's the issue of copyrights on the phrase... :D

Is the phrase really copyrighted? :D

Anyway, I do know when I was in high school we toured at least one college campus where chalking up places was completely normal and even recommended by the tour guide. They spoke of it as a common way people would advertise clubs and such. The school I'm at now periodically has some event days of sorts where the side walks and paths all around campus are marked up with stuff for some purpose. So, since I don't know the conditions of what happened, it very well could be that that place has a normal policy of chalking being acceptable or they could have gotten permission. The only thing that sounds odd to me is I haven't before heard of a camps where they would have things chalked onto doors. As for chalk versus posters though, the chalk has the advantage of not needing to be tracked down and removed since rain will just wash it away in a little time. Also, on our campus at least, the chalk often draws more attention than posters because it can be found outside and all over the place whereas posters are inside and mostly put in certain designated places where you're used to seeing a TON of posters and flyers of all sorts all jumbled together to the point that none of them really stand out much.

I'd bet it was likely limited to something just one or so people did on that one campus though. I hadn't heard of anything like this being supposed to happen before hand (not that I'm the most well informed person out there though.) There was nothing like that I saw today where I am either. Too bad too, I'd like something to show I may not be alone here after all.

Edited by bluecherry

Guess I should have been more specific:

All chalking was on the sidewalk, and all of it was in places where students are encouraged to chalk. And no, it is not considered graffiti or vandalism by anyone, at least not here at UVa. The school encourages us to chalk as a way of advertising; it is definitely within campus rules to do so.

As for the chalk vs. flyers, I absolutely agree with bluecherry. Most people here ignore posters, since they're only in certain places and there are always dozens of them on top of each other. Actually, chalking is so prolific at UVa that most people ignore it too, unless somebody does a really good job, as was the case with the "Who is John Galt?" campaign.

Guess I should have been more specific:

All chalking was on the sidewalk, and all of it was in places where students are encouraged to chalk. And no, it is not considered graffiti or vandalism by anyone, at least not here at UVa. The school encourages us to chalk as a way of advertising; it is definitely within campus rules to do so.

Context as they say is everything... Well done to the young Galtists ( :D ) then.