Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand and Objectivism stands for?

Rate this topic

I come across a lot of hostility and hatred towards Ayn Rand and Objectivism when on other forums, something which totally took me by surprise when i first learned about objectivism. A lot of it however seems to stem from either misunderstandings or blatant misrepresentations.

I want to try and compile a simple short list of what Ayn Rand and Objectivism stands for. So I can say something like this as a reply:

Ayn Rand and Objectivism stand for:

- The importance of recognizing facts.

- The principle that reason is man’s means of knowledge.

- The principle that acting in one’s best interest is in one’s best interest.

- The principle that initiation of force or committing fraud is always wrong; whoever does it, for whatever reason.

- The principle that freedom is a requirement of a proper human life.

- The principle that one should think for oneself.

- The principle that whatever promotes human life is good, and that which harms or destroys human life is evil.

If you can tell me what is wrong with any one of those points, then I might consider your view, if not then you might want to re-evaluate your opinion of Ayn Rand and Objectivism.

I read something similar to that somewhere but couldn't find it back. Anyway, do you guys feel those points are accurate? Also are there any other points you would suggest adding?

Thanks

That's a good list and probably more straight forward than mine, but I think it's still a little easier to attack and mis-represent. For example just saying Capitalism will close people's minds right off the bat. There is such a misunderstanding today about what Capitalism really is, for most it will go like this: Capitalist = Corporate Pawn - Conservative - Righty = mind made up to what objectivism means and uninterested in learning the truth.

I think the list I have so far will confuse people to the point where they might second-guess their opinion about Ayn Rand.

Although I should maybe add something like this to cover the Capitalism aspects:

- The principle that men should deal with one another, not as victims and executioners, nor as masters and slaves, but as traders, by free, voluntary exchange to mutual benefit.

I dunno, I could be going about this completely wrong. I just get frustrated when I come across a forum or article topic and find people bashing Ayn Rand and Objectivism. Especially since it's such a common sense philosophy.

The summary cited above is not intended to convert you, but to simply give you a brief indication of the Objectivist viewpoint. I suggest you use Ayn Rand’s description, as it is the most reliable, and if someone regards it as insufficient, then clarify the specific point they disagree with. A list is not the proper way to present a philosophy. All the answers can be explicitly found in her writings, if they care to discover them. Bear in mind that it is up to them to do their research. Also, why do you focus on capitalism? Most of the concepts you used are likewise misunderstood today. For example, taking the last point you added, someone might ask what “man” is, and you can just go on forever.

I finally found where I got the initial list (though it's been slightly altered over time):

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=5166

If Ms. Moore has a rational argument against Rand's ideas—whether against the importance of recognizing facts, or against the principle that reason is man's means of knowledge, or against the principle that acting in one's best interest is in one's best interest, or against the principle that initiating force or committing fraud is immoral, or against the principle that freedom is a requirement of a proper human life, or against the principle that one should think for oneself—Ms. Moore should set forth her argument. If not, she should consider actually reading and understanding Ayn Rand. Philosophic education is more fruitful, and less embarrassing, than journalistic intimidation.

It was written by Craig Biddle, in kind of the same way I was thinking to use it. What I like about this list more than the Ayn Rand description is that I think it is less easily mis-interpreted and the points are very obviously positive, common sense things (aren't they?).

I focused on Capitalism above because it is a very misunderstood word. Most of these people who read "capitalism" will automatically take that as confirmation of their original (false) opinion of Ayn Rand, because most people don't really understand why Capitalism is the moral system. They will just read that and say: "Just as I thought, a right-wing nut job not worth considering". The opinion most people have of Ayn Rand it seems to me is that of a completely selfish, cold hearted b#$ch, that supports corporate greed, fraud, dog-eat-dog practices, and who hates the "little-guy". Someone who advocates stepping on anyone and everyone to get what you want. Or at least they present her in that way.

Ayn Rand's description doesn't, in my view, automatically dissuade someone from that opinion (and as you said, that's not it's point). The list I have above (originally written by Craig Biddle) I think will have more of an effect. None of those points are what most of these people associate with Ayn Rand, and in addition they are points that are very hard to say are not good.

I'm also not necessarily trying to convert anyone, but rather shake the foundation of their false opinion of Ayn Rand a little, and maybe shake the confidence they had in that opinion. You know?