Objectivism Online Forum

Lectures For Sale!

Rate this topic

Atlas51184

I have the following lectures for sale. I am not interested in anything but cash, so don't bother asking about trades. Sorry.

All of these are audio cassette and in very good condition.

The Art of Thinking - (ARB Price: $230) My Price: $190

Advanced Seminars on OPAR I- (ARB: $145) My Price: $100

ASOPAR II - (ARB: $175) My Price: $135

Unity in Epistemology and Ethics - (ARB: $119) My Price: $85

If someone wants to buy them all I'll give you priority. If you are interested or have questions, email me. If you are interested in buying, but don't like my prices, then email me and I'll get back to you if I have no customers. My email address is [email protected]

All of these are VERY good lectures and helped me immensely. I am only parting with them because I am a poor college student who needs money but can't get a job. Don't take my wanting to sell these as an indication that I don't think they are valuable!

I have the following lectures for sale. I am not interested in anything but cash, so don't bother asking about trades. Sorry.

All of these are audio cassette and in very good condition.

The Art of Thinking - (ARB Price: $230) My Price: $190

Advanced Seminars on OPAR I- (ARB: $145) My Price: $100

ASOPAR II - (ARB: $175) My Price: $135

Unity in Epistemology and Ethics - (ARB: $119) My Price: $85

If someone wants to buy them all I'll give you priority. If you are interested or have questions, email me. If you are interested in buying, but don't like my prices, then email me and I'll get back to you if I have no customers. My email address is [email protected]

All of these are VERY good lectures and helped me immensely. I am only parting with them because I am a poor college student who needs money but can't get a job. Don't take my wanting to sell these as an indication that I don't think they are valuable!

Could you kindly summarize the content of the "Art of Thinking" and "Unity in Epistemology and Ethics" tapes?

Thanks.

Both of them have content you cannot find anywhere else. From the Ayn Rand Bookstore, here is a lecture by lecture summary:

This is a course on what to do with your mind during the act of thought, when to do it and how to do it. Dr. Peikoff teaches you how to make the principles of Objectivist epistemology the guide of your own daily thought processes. These lectures are part new theory and part exercises.

1. Volition as a means of Clarity

The problem of clashing contexts; why some students are unable to fully accept what they know to be the truth. The perpetual "clarity-seeker." Why the only solution in such cases is will (not more arguments).

2. Hierarchy

Thought as integration. Hierarchy as an indispensable form of integration. Reducing advanced ideas to perceptual data.

3. Thinking in Essentials

Thinking in essentials as a form of unit-reduction. How to decide what is essential in a particular case, such as a movie, book or person. Translating commonplace remarks in terms of essentials.

4. Question & Answer Session (1hr.)

Identifying the essence of: a movie version of Atlas Shrugged. Ayn Rand's personality. Integration and reduction. When to introduce a child to Objectivism.

5. Thinking in Principles

Principles as fundamental integrations reached by induction. Principles and essentials. Are principles inescapable or not?

6. Certainty

Can one be certain about the future? Can one base predictions on statistics? If knowledge is contextual, must one say: "The senses are valid, or Atlas Shrugged is a great novel, in the present context of knowledge"? Can one properly specify one's context, yet still be guilty of an error?

7. Thinking versus Writing

Pre-writing versus writing problems. Understanding a point versus knowing how to present it—and what is required for each. The grave error of trying to understand through writing for others.

8. Question & Answer Session (2 hrs.)

Dealing with immoral people. Why academic philosophers reject Objectivism. The difference between truth and certainty. The epistemological status of statistics. How Ayn Rand edited Atlas Shrugged.

Also, I listed the ARB price of AoT as $230, that is the price of the CD lectures, not the Audio Tapes. The audio tapes cost $195 at ARB, so I am lowering the price of The Art of Thinking to $150.

Here is the description for Unity in Epistemology and Ethics:

Unity in Epistemology and Ethics (Audiocassette) by Leonard Peikoff

1. Knowledge as a Unity: A detailed analysis and concretization of the principles that everything in the universe is interrelated, and that every item of knowledge is connected to every other. Why these principles are the antidote to rationalism. Students are given a simple item of knowledge -- i.e., "The plane from Los Angeles will be two hours late" -- and are led to see connections between this statement and all of human cognition.

2. How To Unite History and Philosophy: Does philosophy make science, including history, possible -- or is it vice versa? What, if any, is the role of historical fact in validating the principles of epistemology? of ethics? of politics? Do we learn that reason is man's basic means of survival by studying the nature of man or the history of men? Why did Ayn Rand say that she could not have formulated her ethics prior to the Industrial Revolution?

3. Definitions: The principle of two definitions: why a certain category of philosophic term requires not one, but two definitions. How to answer such questions as: Does James Taggart pursue any values? Since Christianity preaches sacrifice, does it really offer a code of morality?

4. Is Morality Difficult or Easy To Practice?: Virtue, fundamentally, as the choice to focus. Since knowledge must be a unity, does focus entail continuous mental work and/or struggle in order to perform the requisite integrations? If one is fully in focus, are his mental processes necessarily objective? Can a man ever act against his moral beliefs and yet still be fully in focus (e.g., the case of Rearden)?

Peikoff says, during one of the lectures, that this course will help fight rationalism. If you want more information about either you'll have to ask me specific questions.

• 8 months later...