Objectivism Online Forum

US President Barack Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Rate this topic

hunterrose

What? Scratch winning a Nobel Prize off my Things I Want to Do List. <blows gasket>

Edit: Dumb and Dumberer. According to Wikipedia and Nobelprize.org, the nominations for Nobel Prize candidates had to be submitted on or before February 1. How many days had Obama been in office at that time? 11?? :dough:

Edited by hunterrose

Even if I wanted Obama's policies to succeed (as opposed to seeing him get badges), this is not a prize I would ask for -- not at this time. It can only raise the cynicism and feeling of "non achievement" to the "independent" U.S. voter.

Edited by softwareNerd

Keep in mnd this is the same organization that awarded Albert Einstein, the foremost physicist of his time, a prize in chemistry. Not for the Theory of Relativity, which revolutionized physics, but for his work on the photo-voltaic effect.

Nominated at less than 2 weeks in office.??!! What objective methods did they use? His pretty face? Lech Walesa, the former Polish President, and 1983 N.P.P. recipient, said: "So soon ? Too early. He has no contribution so far. This is probably an encouragement for him to act. Let's see if he perserveres."

Appeasement (by which he is threatening the future of the U.S.A. and the rest of us) is what counts I guess.

By which standard, Neville Chamberlain should have got the award for trying to deal with the Nazis.

This is another victory for p. c.- ness, subjectivism, and intrincism.

Geez.

Honestly, I would like to congratulate all Americans on your Prez receiving this honour, but I know that O'ists in particular will not receive undeserved reward, unmerited praise.

It has got to be a mixture of pride and embarassment that most other U.S. citizens are feeling right now, and I have to empathize with this.

I felt the same way when the S. African Archbishop, Desmond Tutu ( the 'soul of the nation' ) received his award.

Now although I feel little patriotism for Zimbabwe, where I lived for several years, I think that another nominee, Morgan Tsvangarai, was more deserving of the Peace Prize; if only for opposing that tyrannical bastard Mugabe, and trying to return the country to peace and prosperity.

Arafat had to murder thousands of people before he got the Prize.

Al Gore had to make a movie.

What did 0 have to do? Read a couple of words from the teleprompter?

Mother Teresa had to promote a nauseating "cult of suffering" before she won it.

Jimmy Carter had to kiss up to every anti-American dictator and write anti-Semetic books about Israel before he won it.

Keep in mnd this is the same organization that awarded Albert Einstein, the foremost physicist of his time, a prize in chemistry. Not for the Theory of Relativity, which revolutionized physics, but for his work on the photo-voltaic effect.
Einstein's theory on the photoelectric effect and the idea of the photon can be considered the start of quantum physics. If that isn't revolutionary, I don't know what is.

---------------------------------------------

In my lifetime (24 years), the Nobel Peace Prize has never stood for anything. To me, Obama just received the equivalent of a gold medal from a 25-cent vending machine. However, the prizes in sciences and literature are interesting (literature less and less every year). Kao's work in fiber-optics was revolutionary to say the least, and Boyle's and Smith's invention of the CCD (charge-coupled device) revolutionized everything from medical imaging to the little camera you travel with in your pocket. But my favorite result of their invention? These: http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/

Edited by Alexandros

The only peace the Nobel committee can achieve is the "peace" experienced by a zombie.

According to them, peace consists of evasion - evading the the difference between good and evil, between true and false, between fact and non-fact ... all in order to pretend that none of those exist. They give their prizes to those who are the best pretenders.

On their view, the world would be better off if the mind of every individual were scooped out and replaced by mush, making all of us zombies. Just like in the movies, the zombies would all end up dead. Unlike the movies, Nobel zombies would die at the hands of evil, not good, i.e., they would die at the hands of the very thing the Nobel committee wants to evade.

Mark Peters

Einstein's theory on the photoelectric effect and the idea of the photon can be considered the start of quantum physics. If that isn't revolutionary, I don't know what is.

---------------------------------------------

In my lifetime (24 years), the Nobel Peace Prize has never stood for anything. To me, Obama just received the equivalent of a gold medal from a 25-cent vending machine. However, the prizes in sciences and literature are interesting (literature less and less every year). Kao's work in fiber-optics was revolutionary to say the least, and Boyle's and Smith's invention of the CCD (charge-coupled device) revolutionized everything from medical imaging to the little camera you travel with in your pocket. But my favorite result of their invention? These: http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/

You are right about this. It's the "Peace Prize" that is the joke. The prizes in science are often based on real merit. The Peace Prize is usually based on the subversion of justice. If anything, the Peace Prize could be considered a prize for high level corruption.

Their standards are slipping, though.

Arafat had to murder thousands of people before he got the Prize.

Al Gore had to make a movie.

What did 0 have to do? Read a couple of words from the teleprompter?

He hasn't been in power that long yet. Maybe they thought the prize would be moral motivation to kick start his peace propositions and plans.

In addition, the photoelectric effect greatly influenced the discoveries and technologies of the recent Novel Prize winners that you continue on to mention. I didn't realize this until after watching The News Hour on PBS, in which they dedicated about a 10 minutes spot to discussing the prize.