Objectivism Online Forum

US President Barack Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Rate this topic

hunterrose

Einstein's theory on the photoelectric effect and the idea of the photon can be considered the start of quantum physics. If that isn't revolutionary, I don't know what is.

Actual Quantum Mechanics.

Anyway, it's not a development that should have been given a prize for chemistry.

The Nobel Peace Prize is a notoriously difficult award to predict, but yesterday's decision was clearly a political choice, with three of the past six peace awards going to Bush adversaries.

In 2002 the prize went to Jimmy Carter as an explicit rejection of the Bush presidency in the build-up to the Iraq war. In 2005 Mohamed ElBaradei, the UN atomic agency chief who had clashed with Washington over the search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, was honoured. In 2007 Al Gore received the prize for his warnings on climate change, denounced by President Bush as a liberal myth.

-Barack Obama's peace prize starts a fight, Times Online, 10 Oct 2009

Maybe they should change the name to the Nobush Peace Prize.

on edit:

Though if they do that, next year it'll go to either Paris Hilton or... (wait for it...)

Roman Polanski (...rim shot...) (oops!)

Edited by agrippa1

Maybe they should change the name to the Nobush Peace Prize.

Michelle Malkin's calling it "the Nobel Appease Prize," which isn't half bad but is unwieldy to read. I like Nobush better.

Though if they do that, next year it'll go to either Paris Hilton or... (wait for it...)

Roman Polanski (...rim shot...) (oops!)

Nah. Poalnski will be awarded something by NOW or be named humanitarian of the year.

This is a travesty. It makes a mockery of the Nobel Peace Prize committee. I'm not sure about the criticism of Gore (as far as I can tell, climate change is a fact, and it is caused by humanity; whether its a concern or not is the question, and then what should we do about it if it is a problem?), but this one is absolutely ridiculous. Obama hasn't actually done anything positive, all he did is be "not Bush", and granted I think its probably a good thing, but he doesn't deserve anything like a Nobel Peace prize. Its ridiculous, and sad.

I take a 24 hour break from news, and this is what happens?

This is just ridiculous ... the entire world is becoming some sort of sick, humorless joke. TheEgoist got it right, the Onion's becoming a leading source of news. I seriously thought this was a joke when my dad told me about it.

*Sigh* ... I'm going back to my stock charts. If anyone needs me, I'm in the house with the lights that say "Please John Galt get me out of here".

Honestly, I do not understand the anger.

Maybe it's my Israeli perspective of considering words and gestures with very em.... limited way but it is reasonable for the noble prize committee to act this way from their not objective perspective – they have an agenda (false one) to promote and I see nothing wrong with that besides its governmental funding. It's important to understand that its resource is not a malevolent philosophy but an extremely dangerous and naive way of dealing with political issues when it comes to a bit more cynical parts and populations of the world.

This kind of view is common at the Scandinavian countries in particular and we are dealing with this nonsense all the time. I don't see anything special about rewarding intentions which come in correlation with this kind of view and I don't think this event got a big political influence when it comes to such a powerful country like the US.

It's important to understand that its resource is not a malevolent philosophy

Yes it is. Both cultural relativism and environmentalism (his work to disrupt energy production in the name of combating GW was cited as a major reason for the prize) are about as malevolent toward the individual as it gets.

Michelle Malkin's calling it "the Nobel Appease Prize," which isn't half bad but is unwieldy to read. I like Nobush better.

Another guy came up with IgNobel Peace Prize, which I thought was perfect.

Actually, it's become more like a riddle than a prize. It should be the Nobel Peace Riddle .... they announce the winner and we all scratch our heads and try to figure out how that makes sense.

Robin: Imponderable puzzles, Batman, who could be behind this?

Batman: Clearly the work of the Riddler. Robin, to the bat cave!

:lol:

There is a Youtuber that has recently posted a video where he finds a Nobel Peace Prize in a cereal box and says "The crap they put in cereal boxes these days..." Even though the guy's an anarchist and his video was of low quality, he still rang a bell there.

Both cultural relativism and environmentalism (his work to disrupt energy production in the name of combating GW was cited as a major reason for the prize) are about as malevolent toward the individual as it gets.

Noble's will is a tragic and ignorant method for making a better world. It might be as disastrous as Relativism but i do not consider it as evil as Relativism because his vision is not necesserally Collectivist one.

during the preceding year [...] shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses
Edited by Uriah