Objectivism Online Forum

What are you listening at the moment?

Rate this topic

Uriah

I've been into Johnny Cash' American Recordings, the last few weeks. Especially "Help Me", off his final album. It's a very religious collection of songs, this one especially...but just so ridiculously, brilliantly touching, from a man mourning his soulmate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv4i4t2hj2I

It's one of his many Kris Kristofferson covers. I think Kris wrote most of his truly great songs. But John made them eternal...especially this song would've been totally forgotten.

On 11/19/2017 at 9:18 AM, dream_weaver said:

Disturbed—The Sound Of Silence

One of the best covers ever done IMO.

Now for something a bit more post-grungy...

Lifehouse - "First Time"

"It's easier to be broken, it's easier to hide" AKA "Thinking and self-improvement requires effort, it's easier to evade."

2 hours ago, CartsBeforeHorses said:

Lifehouse - "First Time"

"It's easier to be broken, it's easier to hide" AKA "Thinking and self-improvement requires effort, it's easier to evade."

Interesting, the emphasis on evasion as of late. Assembling a puzzle can be accomplished without the box-top . . . if careful attention is distributed to identification of what factors justify the adjoining of any two (or more) pieces together.

Here are the lyrics for:

Edited by dream_weaver

11 hours ago, CartsBeforeHorses said:

Interesting use of aquatic puns. I raise you, the Swirling Eddies and a song about a "card shark."

I'll saw your Swirling Eddies and call with an eddy of the planets.
Gustav Hoist - The Planets - Mars, the Bringer of War

Spoiler

If you enjoyed that one, perhaps you might enjoy whole planetary suite.

0:00 Mars
7:27 Venus
14:52 Mercury
18:39 Jupiter
26:11 Saturn
35:26 Uranus
41:12 Neptune

If you happen to notice the conspicuous absence of Pluto from the mix, it was not due to it being decommissioned as a planet, rather it was not included due to a particular detail surrounding its discovery.

Spoiler

I saw this on the side bar and thought it fitting to close out the suite with this selection: Rachmaninov: The Isle of the Dead, Symphonic poem, Op 29 - Andrew Davis

Edited by dream_weaver

Glen Campbell had popularized a song that was actually written by Lawrence D. "Larry" Weiss about a year earlier (a factoid I learned today, trying to look up the cereal box upon which it might have been acquired.) When I was about 14 years old, a box of cereal was purchased by my mother that had a recording similar to this inside in the form of a vinyl record intended to be listened to on a turntable. It went as followed:

As near as I can remember, this is the first song I can remember as being "mine". In all likelihood, it was probably nothing more than a subversive childhood act.

Edited by dream_weaver

• 4 weeks later...