Objectivism Online Forum

Google Wave

Rate this topic

Rudmer

I just got my Google Wave invite a few hours ago, and have been playing around with Wave almost ever since then. Barring any bugs (I've run into a few) my reaction has been "Wow, this is incredible. This could really change/improve the way people communicate over the internet, if only more people would use it."

And I think that's what will make or break Wave. It is really good, but only if the people you communicate with use it. I know that it is in a limited preview right now, but even once it goes public I'm not too sure if it will really take hold with the masses. It will need to overcome two things in peoples' minds, namely the thoughts that it is too complicated or confusing (it's really not, you just have to get over the learning curve) and that it's just another tool to do what you can already do with the tools at hand -- email, IM, wiki's, Google Docs, etc.

So, do you think Wave will gain the popularity needed to make it a truly effective communication tool? If so, Wave is obviously in it's infancy, so what do you see it evolving into?

(If you have a Wave account and want to chat, send me a PM with your google username.)

So, do you think Wave will gain the popularity needed to make it a truly effective communication tool? If so, Wave is obviously in it's infancy, so what do you see it evolving into?

I read an article about it last week some time, and I've forgotten a lot of the features that its supposed to offer. I myself didn't care much about it, probably because I'm not the biggest fan of all things web 2.0. However, one of the things that stuck out to me was making e-mail more interactive between users. That would definitely be a good app for certain business and college uses, etc...

Edited by RussK

Well, it depends largely to the answer to the following question: what is a Google Wave?