Objectivism Online Forum

Dumbest charities

Rate this topic

SapereAude

Heading into the holiday season everyone knows that soon they will be bombarded constantly with calls, junkmail and people of the streetcorners begging for charities.

As a business owner I get a triple dose of bombardment of course.

This year I was stunned by something of such staggering stupidity I just had to share it and maybe the rest of you would care to share what obscene charities have wasted your time this year.

This morning I received a donation request from a charity that will, with my money, provide tattoo removal for the homeless.

Think on THAT one for a moment.

Then think again on the fact that statistically there are a high precentage of criminals, ex criminals and sex offenders amongst the homeless.

So really, I think it is just awesome that finally a caritable group has come along to HELP THEM GET RID OF DISTINGUISHING MARKS.

I have the feeling I may not be able to just ignore this one.

I may just have to write a nasty letter.

I like a lot of charities, and most of the others I can at least put up with, but this just sounds absolutely ridiculous.

I find a bit of irony in your criminals/sex offenders remark; as if, of all the dumb mistakes these homeless people have made in their lives, getting a tattoo is a top priority for reversal.

This tends to cause dismay in some circles, but my favorite charity of all time is George Soros's

Open Society Institute . It does do things I disagree with, but overall it's been the most effective (and influential) charitable organization of certainly the 80's and 90's, as far as I know. (Lately I stopped keeping in touch though, because Soros became involved in US politics, and is sponsoring all the wrong sides)