Objectivism Online Forum

"Cordair Launches New Artist At Mojave"

Rate this topic

RadCap

As noted in Betsy Speicher's October Cybernet, the Quent Cordair Gallery launched its newest artist (me) at the first X-Prize event in Mojave CA on Sept 29th. More information, as well as examples of the art being offered by the gallery may be found on their web site here:

http://www.cordair.com/smith/index.aspx

(Clicking on any of the images there will provide larger displays as well as details about the individual piece.)

Here is an example of one of the works:

knightt.jpg

"The New Knight" by Brian Smith

Very exciting indeed. Great work.

As a young Illustration student who is currently calculating how to move away from free-lance Illustration and into the realm of Romantic Realism I admire your conviction. The more and more my time becomes occupied by tightly constrained assignments regarding issues and ideas I care little to nothing about the more I feel the need to make my escape. Next year I construct my thesis, which is pretty open-ended. I'm going to do a series of Illustrations on the values of Ayn Rand. That way I can create a cohesive body of romantic realist work and at the same time get my degree.

Very nice work, Brian, I too hope you become filthy rich. Will there be prints available?

I'm curious about this waverunner concept, I've never heard of it. I tried using some google-fu to find info on it, but couldn't find much. Do you have a good resource for finding out the technical details about the concept and whether or not it's been wind-tunnel tested?

Hi felipe,

Actually, you will note that the concept is called a waveRIDER, which might explain the difficulties you had in tracking it down on google. A quick search revealed this link to be likely the most helpful in explaining the concept, at least as I used it:

http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/encyclop.../waverider.html

My research involved less of the current focus on hypersonic flight shapes and more on its "classic" origins as a spacecraft. As such, I studied many of the RAS and Glasgow published documents and journals in order to design the original concept ships you see depicted in some of my works.

Hope this helps. I am glad you liked the work. :)

RadCap

As noted in Betsy Speicher's October Cybernet, the Quent Cordair Gallery launched its newest artist (me) at the first X-Prize event in Mojave CA on Sept 29th.  More information, as well as examples of the art being offered by the gallery may be found on their web site here:

http://www.cordair.com/smith/index.aspx

Congratulations. A lovely display. I hope we get to see prints available for these sometime soon.

I am happy to see the enthusiasm for Brian's paintings. I have the pleasure of having these beauties here in the Burlingame gallery where I can admire them from my desk. Lucky me! The variety of colors in Brian's paintings range from soft and subtle to bold and brilliant. The inspirational subject matter and technical details make these paintings very collectable.

We have just this week introduced Brian and his art to the world via our wonderful gallery. Our goal is to sell his original artwork first. Prints may or may not be offered at a later date. Much will depend on the ability to reproduce them accurately and the number of requests that we receive. Of course, the brilliance of the originals can never be duplicated. We'll keep you posted.

For those less familiar with pastel art:

The medium of pastel can be traced as far back as the 16th century. Pastel paintings are very durable, permanent and, as many of the famous masterworks show, the color brilliancy will last indefinitely with proper care. Artists have used the pastel medium for hundreds of years and many of these art works still exist fresh and colorful as the day they were applied. Pastels do not yellow and the color does not oxidize, change, or fade with age.

Today, Pastel has the same stature of oil and water color as a major fine art medium. Many renowned artists have distinguished themselves in pastel, enriching the art world with this beautiful medium. The classical artist, Leonardo da Vinci used pastel to color some of his drawings in the fifteenth century. Rosabella Carriera, an artist from Venice, born in 1675, was the first person to use pastels exclusively. She is thought to have pioneered the medium. In the 1720's and 1730's her portraits of the gentry and nobility were all the rage in Paris.

Great work!

Very inspiring.

It's a bit pricey for my right now, but definitely the kind of work I love.

Btw, I found this excellent picture of SpaceShip one.

This was taken using by amateurs using tracking software.

Wouldn't this provide a good foundation for a painting? B)

I want to thank everyone for their wonderful comments. I really appreciate your kind words and appraisals of my work. I have always looked upon what man can do with awe and wonder. And I consider the truly Herculean feats of both mind and body required to be successful with endeavors in space to be one of the pinnacles of man's existence. With my works, I have tried to capture the grandeur of these achievements of man, along with the stunning beauty of where he is accomplishing them.

One of the works which I believe best displays this combination is "Recapturing Motive Power" - which just happens to be today's featured blogad at instapundit.com (Check it out. :D And check out its home page as well: http://www.cordair.com/smith/motivepower.aspx ).

As to future works, Thales is definitely on the right track. I have been so inspired by Burt Rutan's SpaceShipOne, that I am indeed developing different concepts in an attempt to capture that spirit of inspiration. Keep your eyes peeled. :)

• 3 months later...