Objectivism Online Forum

Distance Learning Degrees

Rate this topic

cliveandrews

I'm not talking about online degree mills like University of Pheonix, Kaplan, etc., but actual state universities that offer distance learning programs. One of the major universities in my state offers an accounting degree that can be completed entirely online and make one eligible to sit for the CPA exam. I have always thought that online school cheapens the already tremendously cheapened value of a college degree, and personally don't think very highly of distance learning programs. But if I am nailed down to a job and the degree could potentially lead to a better one, it would be better than nothing. My question: are distance learning degrees taken at all seriously and are they at all competitive? If you were an employer in your field and you saw an applicant who earned his degree online (from a reputable school), would you consider him?

Sure, in certain contexts.

Employers need employees with a specific set of knowledge necessary to perform the job. If an applicant, potential employee, can demonstrate that he posseses the knowledge, let us say by passing a comprehensive multi-subject test, then he should be hired. I don't think it matters if the applicant attended a college or not, if for that particular given subject, and thus job, the knowledge could have been acquired without a professor and classmates present or without the use of college facilities and equipments. Studying texts is the means of aquiring knowledge of most subjects. Professers, classmates, and specialized equipment seem to me to be unncessary for many subjects.

. My question: are distance learning degrees taken at all seriously and are they at all competitive?

That is like asking whether brick and mortar degrees are taken seriously and competitive. Some are, some aren't: a degree from Harvard is usually esteemed more than one from DeVry. In my experience going to an accredited distance education university, I generally have to do more work than my previous brick and mortar university--and am graded less leniently.

If I was an employer, I would probably be unimpressed if someone had a BA or BSc and would judge them based on their interview, experience, and references, seeing as almost anyone can party for four years and end up with a degree. To me, someone who worked as an accountant during the day and did a distance education degree by night would be a better candidate than a student who went to a brick and mortar university requiring him to take classes in the day, which caused him to have an unrelated job at night.