Objectivism Online Forum

If you had to choose between your life and the life of a stranger

Rate this topic

Summer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At what point from small insignificant injurie to life-disrupting injury/death would you chose to kill the stranger is in my oppinion a much more interesting, and quite tough, question.

Well here's debating for the sake of debating.

I would say that the line is drawn where scratching your arm turns into something that prevents you from living as a man (wether that means not living because your dead, because you can't live with the guilt or all of your skin is scratched off). But then I don't know because anything that kidnapper makes you do is not your fault. Although, I would sure feel responsible if I opted out of doing something really insignificant to myself.

Anything somebody else decided to do in a scenario like that is their responsibility, not mine. I'm not forcing them to do anything. I'd simply refuse to consent to somebody damaging me at all and anything that that kidnapper bastard decided to do from that point on is sad for the other person here, but entirely the kidnapper's fault still, not mine. I have no reason to feel guilty at all. Sad, maybe even horrified at what happened, sure, but not guilty.