Objectivism Online Forum

Mother Teresa's dark philosophy

Rate this topic

Hotu Matua

I would like to share with you some of the texts of the private letters or writings of Mother Teresa of Calcutta, highlighting the evil, anti-natural, contradictory, self-destructive nature of the philosophy that some man-hater wolves have exhibited as evidence and model of "sanctity". The citations come from the book "Mother Teresa: Come, Be My Light", a NYT Bestseller edited by Brian Kolodiejchuk

motherteresacostume218.jpg

"God is calling me --unworthy and sinful as I am. I am longing to give all for souls. They will all think me mad-- after so many years-- to begin a thing which will bring me for the most part only suffering..." (p.51)

"I feel sometimes afraid, for I have nothing, no brains, no learning, no qualities required for such a work, and yet I tell Him that my heart is free from everything and so it belongs completely to Him, and Him alone. He can use me just as it will please Him best. To please Him only is the joy I seek" (p. 67)

"If you only knew how much I long to immolate myself completely in that absolute poverty and so bring the light of Christ into the unhappy homes of the slum's poor" (p. 85)

"For sufferings you have not to look for them. Almighty God provides for them daily; they are not always what we imagined, bodily sufferings and the sort, but interior sufferings, contradictions, failures of our plan, anxieties for the community, for the work, misunderstandings... " (p. 142)

"Pray for me -- for within me everthing is icy cold-- It is only that blind faith that carries me through for in reality to me all is darkness. As long as Our Lord has all the pleasure-- I really do not count." (p. 163)

"Please pray for me--the longing for God is terribly painful and yet the darkness is becoming greater. What contradiction there is my soul--The pain within is so great-- that I really don't feel anything for all the publicity and the talk of the people..." (p. 174)

"In my heart there is no faith, no love, no trust: there is so much pain-- the pain of longing, the pain of not being wanted.

I want God with all the powers of my soul-- and yet there between us-- there is a terrible separation.

The work holds no joy, no attraction, no zeal...

...I do not doubt that it was You who called me, with so much love and force... In the call You said that I would have to suffer much. Ten years--my Jesus, You have done to me according to Your will-- and Jesus hear my prayer--if this pleases You--if my pain and suffering-- my darkness and separation gives You a drop of consolation -- my own Jesus, do with me as You wish--as long as You wish, without a single glance at my feelings and pain. I am Your own. Imprint on my soul and life the sufferings of Your Heart. Don't mind my feelings. Don't mind even, my pain..." (p.193, 194)

Wow, It's not often you get a total insight into the 'being' of a an altruist-mystic.

And what do we see there if nothing but pain and torment.

Actually, I thought that this was written with total honesty and candour - and should serve as a warning for anyone tempted to follow in her path. Here it all is, accurately and explicitly, a condemnation of selflessness, in her own words.("Within me everything is icy cold").

But, no; the religious will continue to extoll M.T. as the ultimate in godliness, and live lives wracked by guilt for not being selfless enough to emulate her.

Of course, though, we know that these words are mainly about self-justification and rationalisation. She's saying, in essence "Look at the Sacrifice I have made, that I have not known one moment of peace or happiness. To have gained any pleasure from my work, would have desecrated that work".

At least she was consistent in her irrationality.

Now, every time I read of some writer (Eckardt Tolle springs to mind) raving on about the need to be ego-less and mindless, I will recall these pathetically painful words of Mother Theresa.

I was really disgusted by that recent controversy where Anita Dunn had said that her two favorite philosophers were Mao Tse Tung and Mother Teresa, and all of the conservative commentators screamed about her mention of Mao but made barely a whimper about Mother Teresa.

To top it all off, the poor woman didn't even receive her eternal reward in Heaven:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/mothe...sent_to_hell_in

Good point, Kevin. Very good point.

Suppose there was a Heaven and a God that receives Mother Teresa's soul with open arms.

What kind of life would Mother Teresa have in Heaven if there are no lepers, no slums, no suffering to take care for?

How would Mother Teresa spend her eternity in Heaven?

Studying Astronomy? Building scapecraft? Learning musical composition?

What sort of PERSONAL PROJECT would she be able to build for herself?

Or would then Heaven look so dim, so empty, withouth nothing and nobody to be self-sacrificed for?

I love the film "The Last Temptation of Christ". At least some aspects of them. But that would be, perhaps, the topic for another thread.

I love the film "The Last Temptation of Christ". At least some aspects of them. But that would be, perhaps, the topic for another thread.

Peter Gabriel's soundtrack to that film is one of my very favorite music CDs.

Maybe that film would make for an interesting philosophical discussion. Particularly the part where Jesus encounters the Apostle Paul.

I was really disgusted by that recent controversy where Anita Dunn had said that her two favorite philosophers were Mao Tse Tung and Mother Teresa, and all of the conservative commentators screamed about her mention of Mao but made barely a whimper about Mother Teresa.

I think a lot of people think of her as someone who helped the poor and don't realize the full extent of what she believed and did, whereas Mao had a large and destructive foot print that was obvious to all who wanted to see. So, that's part of the reason for the disconnect.

However, mother Theresa has been exposed for a while now. Prodos, the radio presenter in Australia, had a guest on several years ago who discussed her in some detail. That show may still be on his website, prodos.com.

Well, it isn't like she even lived out her self-immolating virtues. She was cruel to those she supposedly cared for, horded the money she earned for herself while watching thousands of innocent children die in camps. You could probably trace all that back to her idea of suffering being the ultimate form of worship and atonement.

You all don't get it.

These passages from her book are bragging. She is trying to at one and the same time establish how distanced from "inclination" she is and at the same time agrandize herself as the formost exemplar of selflessness.

It is a tour de force of altruistic attainment.

She would put Comte himself to shame.

You all don't get it.

These passages from her book are bragging. She is trying to at one and the same time establish how distanced from "inclination" she is and at the same time agrandize herself as the formost exemplar of selflessness.

After viewing "Hell's Angel", I'm beginning to agree. So the saint of selflessness was making an attempt at fame, and immortality. Is there nothing sacred any more?!! :thumbsup:

You all don't get it.

I think you've hit the nail in the head.

She is bragging.

It doesn't mean that she has not experienced big inner conflict, as any person believing in altruism has. Altruism entails a contradiction as it is anti-reality, and people trying to hide or evade always bear the consequences of this, which is psychic conflict and anguish.

But instead of presenting honestly this conflict and asking for help, she uses this conflict to present herself as a victorious champion of love for Christ. She kind of says to the world: "See how I manage this conflict, this contradiction, this anguish: I surrender myself even more. I self-sacrifice even more. I find God where I don't seem to be able to find Him. I hold fast to my faith when I seem to have lost it. You see? I am saint enough to go against myself."

Wow, I'm amazed none of the destitutes tried to chase her away or eat her. Maybe they're too tired from the preaching to do so. I've always wondered how Anti-Reality continues to exist in Reality in this day and age. Reminds me of what Toohey once said, "Offer them poison for food, then offer them poison for the antidote" or something similar to that. I think M. Teresa is that phrase personified.

post-7270-1257931824_thumb.jpg