Objectivism Online Forum

Greetings From Kentucky!

Rate this topic

Hello, all! I find that I'm not the best at introductions, for whatever reason, but I will try to do so, regardless. I suppose the best place to start is the typical identifying information present in most introductions of this nature: My name is Sara and I am a 22-year-old Kentuckian. When I was eighteen or nineteen, a good friend of mine was griping about this book which they claimed was, "impossible to get through" and "the most pointless thing I have ever had the displeasure to read." They were referring to The Fountainhead, and because this friend was notorious for having bad literary taste (going so far as to say that The Perks of Being a Wallfower was the greatest literary achievement of the 20th century) I decided that I would have to check this book out. I'd heard of Ayn Rand, of course, but had never gotten around to reading any of her work. This book changed that greatly. I was completely intrigued by everything contained therein, and the footnote piqued my interest in Objectivism, a word I had, upon occasion, heard thrown around but never really looked into.

So, here I am, several years and much reading later, still hoping to master the Objectivist way of living, something often proved difficult, but not for the philosophy's sake itself. I am here to try to learn if there's anything I'm doing right, doing wrong, or have overlooked, as well as to have like-minded individuals to talk to.

I'm looking forward to reading and contributing to this forum in the future!

Edited by rationalitysquared

Hello, Sara. :D Haha, I've done similar things before, using somebody with bad taste in arts as a guide to do the opposite of their recommendations. Amusingly, this has often been significantly more reliable a way for me to find good stuff than paying attention to any good reviews of anything from almost anybody. So welcome, take off your coat, make yourself comfortable, pull up a chair, grab some snacks, and stay awhile. Hope you will enjoy your time here and maybe learn a thing or two and/or maybe help some of the rest of us learn a thing or two.

Hello, Sara. :rolleyes: Haha, I've done similar things before, using somebody with bad taste in arts as a guide to do the opposite of their recommendations. Amusingly, this has often been significantly more reliable a way for me to find good stuff than paying attention to any good reviews of anything from almost anybody.

Unfortunately, a good stock trading strategy is to do exactly the opposite of what I do.

Welcome.