Objectivism Online Forum

Who Is John Galt? A Sign for the Times

Rate this topic

Sometime around June this year, a billboard mysteriously appeared on the Interstate 95 (I-95) highway, near the St. Mary's Exit in Georgia, just before one passes Georgia into Florida. The billboard contained the question "Who is John Galt?" and nothing else.

For a while, nobody knew who had put up the billboard. Then its creator came forward.

The billboard was placed on I-95 South near the Georgia / Florida border by Craig Root who's a successful small business owner. He's the founder of Vista Outdoor Advertising, an advertising firm located in St. Marys, Georgia, which places and operates billboards.

Says Mr. Root: "I’ve received only positive comments. Of course, only those of us who know the book and Ayn Rand would get the reference but it’s been great to rekindle the notion in our current atmosphere. I’ve also convinced some people to read the book just based on the sign. If 50 people read the book because of the billboard, that will meet my primary objective."

Meanwhile, The US Report has done an exclusive on the billboard, which can be read here.

A photograph of the billboard can be viewed on Flickr by clicking here.