Objectivism Online Forum

Obama bows to Akihito

Rate this topic

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington...hito-japan.html

This photo will get President Obama a lot of approving nods in Japan this weekend, especially among the older generation of Japanese, who still pay attention to the royal family living in its downtown castle. Very low bows like this are a sign of great respect and deference to a superior.

To some in the United States, however, an upright handshake might have looked better.

UPDATES: 12:22 p.m. A brief news video has been added below, showing the greeting in this photograph. Contrary to some claims, the video shows no reciprocal bow by the emperor, who traditionally bows to no one.

Also note that in Japanese custom, a bow is a sign of respect, and a handshake is a sign of respect. It is one or the other, not both simultaneously. That would be a sign of humility.

So what do you think? The White House just plain denied that Obama bowed to the Saudi King Abdullah last time, even though it was on video and has not bowed to any other monarchs since. Should the US President bow to any foreign leaders, ever?

http://hotairpundit.blogspot.com/2009/11/p...t-of-world.html

Edited by 2046

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that either bowing or a handshake would be fine especially in this context (Japan). The emperor did bow reciprocally so no disrespect to either side occurred. (Unlike King Abdullah who I don't believe bowed back, and who's country nationalized/looted all the American oil wells in his country, which kinda precludes any signs of respect)

I've always liked the idea of bowing anyway, you can keep your hands clean and there is no chance of exchanging germs.

*edit* 10:02 added additional comment

Upon review of hotairpundit photos, Obama really does seem to be bowing a bit lower than other dignitaries which is hilarious and sad. Moron.

Edited by th3ranger

Upon review of hotairpundit photos, Obama really does seem to be bowing a bit lower than other dignitaries which is hilarious and sad.
OMG. Do they not have anyone in State who can advise him on this foreign culture stuff? He seems to be an obsequious little toad habitually, as also seen here ,here and here.

I work with the Japanese a lot.

I see no problem with bowing as a greeting. I bow probably 100+ times a day.

It is a simple greeting and sign of respect- so long as both people bow. If the bow is not returned then there is a problem.

Actually, I like it better than handshaking, I enjoy the lack of physical contact with strangers.. especially during cold& flu season.

There's bowing as a sign of courtesy and bowing like you would bow to an emperor. In my limited experience, a courtesy bow--that is the equivalent of shaking hands--is little more than a slight inclination of the spine and a tilting of the head. Obama, instead, nearly made a right angle with his spine. And, if you'll notice, there is no reciprocation, suggesting it was more than a courtesy. If he has to bow to a monarch, however, I'd rather it be one from a modern, more-or-less rights-respecting country like Japan, rather than that relic of the medieval world known as Saudi Arabia. Oh wait, he's done that too. Paine and Jefferson are rolling over in their graves.

...though to be fair, John Adams did bow to George III, upon becoming ambassador to England.

I see no problem with bowing as a greeting. I bow probably 100+ times a day.
Since you're familiar with Japanese bowing standards, can I presume that you recognize that Obama's bow was inappropriate, that it clearly is the bow of an inferior to a superior whereas it should at most have been a bow between equals?

Since you're familiar with Japanese bowing standards, can I presume that you recognize that Obama's bow was inappropriate, that it clearly is the bow of an inferior to a superior whereas it should at most have been a bow between equals?

Unfortunately I cannot watch videos on my computer.

That's why I said there is nothing wrong with the bow as such but that if it was not reciprocated (equally)there's a problem.

Deep or shallow bow is irrelevent as long as both people bow equally as low.

Unfortunately I cannot watch videos on my computer.

That's why I said there is nothing wrong with the bow as such but that if it was not reciprocated (equally)there's a problem.

Deep or shallow bow is irrelevent as long as both people bow equally as low.

There was not an equal bow on the Japanese PM's part. His was more a look of, "what, did you drop something?"

Edited by brian0918

I had previously assumed that his bow to the Saudi king was just a protocol error. After the criticism he got for it, there is no imaginable way the issue was not brought to his attention. So, whatever his reason for this very pronounced bow, it is safe to view it as intentional. We have a president who chooses to bow to power or authority. This is a change. I do view it is evidence of mindset and ideology.

I remember hearing his advisor Valerie Jarrett, responding to a question about the White House's tiff with Fox News, state, "... we're going to speak truth to power." I found that so odd considering that she works at the very top level of the most powerful government office on the planet, in all of history really.

Edited by freestyle

This is pretty stupid, honestly. Why do we care? Does this affect us? Really?

Yes it will have an impact on us. I agree with Freestyle in that this is a physical manifestation of his ideology. He thinks this country is in decline and he has gone around the world apologizing for all of America's sins. It's pathetic and our enemies are watching closely.

How's he apologizing here? It's MEANINGLESS.

It won't cause anything bad to happen to us, it is itself just an effect of Obama's multiculturalism, where he thinks America's virtues are its vices instead. Obama's philosophies will hurt us, the bowing to monarchs is just an effect of that. I don't think the bowing in itself will cause bad things to happen, you'll notice no one is saying the sky is falling because of this bow. It's just disgraceful.

Note that he has apologized for the US's virtues in the past, he is the first president that has declined to defend the atomic bombings that ended the second world war, and the embarrassing lack of protocol shown with the bow to Akihito is in part because the way he is doing is indeed in the manner of an apology (past saikeirei level, and coupled with a handshake = grovelling.) He probably wasn't thinking grovelling, but that's partially why it's so embarrassing because you would think he would be better informed on that.

Edited by 2046

I'm pretty for sure most of the people who would get really upset over this thing didn't even know Japan still had an emperor until they heard this. He's pretty irrelevant.

I'm pretty for sure that you have no way of knowing such a thing, and it's pretty irrelevant.

I'm pretty for sure most of the people who would get really upset over this thing didn't even know Japan still had an emperor until they heard this. He's pretty irrelevant.

This clearly isn't about the Emperor of Japan. It's about our President's embarassing willingness to accept and even embrace the idea that America is in decline and that this nation really isn't better than any other nation. We're all just citizens of the world. American exceptionalism died with Obama.

The guy looks the fool. Every other leader was standing tall (as they should being leaders of nations), or at most had courteously tilted his head. The only one to make this kind of gesticulation was Obama.