Objectivism Online Forum

Obama bows to Akihito

Rate this topic

Well here we have it, the White House's solution to the bow to Saudi King Abdulluh: just fucking lie. He didn't bow. There was no bow. You didn't see what you saw. You can't trust your eyes. Now stop asking.

The White House's solution to this bow: fucking lie.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1109/29529.html

"It was protocol."

Really? Just where is it written that it is protocol for the president to bow to anyone, anywhere, for any reason whatever?

No. It's protocol. It just is. Shut up. Stop asking questions.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He thinks this country is in decline and he has gone around the world apologizing for all of America's sins. It's pathetic and our enemies are watching closely.

Well, you're not going to like these quotes from Obama speaking yesterday at a town hall meeting in China:

President Obama: I think it's very important for the United States not to assume that what is good for us is automatically good for somebody else. And we have to have some modesty about our attitudes towards other countries.

I have to say, though, as I said in my opening remarks, that we do believe that there are certain fundamental principles that are common to all people, regardless of culture. [sNIP - A good bit about women's rights as an example (in China, remember)]

... But we think it's important, nevertheless, to be true to our ideals and our values. And we -- and when we do so, though,
we will always do so with the humility and understanding that we are not perfect and that we still have much progress to make

If you talk to women in America, they will tell you that there are still men who have a lot of old-fashioned ideas about the role of women in society.

(
Link to transcript
)

More of a verbal bow, I guess. I just don't relate.

People even in our country read into this stuff and see it as weakness. I really don't know how to properly interpret it, I just that know I don't see it as standing tall. I like strength. I've got no problems with showing strength. Misplaced humility? That, I have a problem with.

Obama comes from the Jimmy Carter school of diplomacy. People in this country may shrug off comments like the ones he has been making overseas, but the dictators and Islamic fanatics who hate this country see an opening that they will eventually attempt to exploit.

This clearly isn't about the Emperor of Japan. It's about our President's embarassing willingness to accept and even embrace the idea that America is in decline and that this nation really isn't better than any other nation.

You don't think America is in decline?

We're all just citizens of the world.

There is truth to that. We aren't an island totally detached from everyone else.

American exceptionalism died with Obama.

I don't think it's died and I don't think it's dying started with Obama, either.

You don't think America is in decline?
If America is actually in decline, it's the result of statist like Obama and Bush who have pointed us in that direction.

I don't think it's died and I don't think it's dying started with Obama, either.

It's not something that can't be resurrected, however this President makes quite an effort to point out our flaws rather than focusing on the good. This nation is unique and I don't think that computes with Obama's underlying philosophy.

Unlike Obama's bow, which verged on prostration, kissing on the cheek really is just a friendly gesture in the Middle East.

I recall plenty of outrage when Bush embraced the Saudi King. Given Saudi support of Islamic fundamentalism, I think the outrage was justified.

Yes it will have an impact on us. I agree with Freestyle in that this is a physical manifestation of his ideology. He thinks this country is in decline and he has gone around the world apologizing for all of America's sins. It's pathetic and our enemies are watching closely.

The country is in decline. How could you possibly say otherwise? Considering who is borrowing and who is lending in the America/Japan relationship, I'd say that if anything, Obama's asking for a favor of the Japanese, not apologizing. There is just no way that anybody could deduce Obama's intentions with this bow/handshake thing, let alone claim the mental causation of his physical actions. There's a right way and a wrong way to criticize Obama... and then there's a stupid way to criticize Obama. Frankly, this is an extremely stupid debate.

Unlike Obama's bow, which verged on prostration, kissing on the cheek really is just a friendly gesture in the Middle East.

I wouldn't expect him to kiss Saddam Hussein or Osama Bin Laden. The Saudis are of the same status. They're war criminals.

Neither.

Period.

Be realistic. Choices have to be made for survival.

Some presidents are much stronger than others. You're not going to be led by John Galt any time soon.

Bush/Cheney may hug/kiss a person who is evil, which is bad; but they won't bow to anyone - symbolically or literally - which is much worse.

Be realistic. Choices have to be made for survival.

Some presidents are much stronger than others. You're not going to be led by John Galt any time soon.

Bush/Cheney may hug/kiss a person who is evil, which is bad; but they won't bow to anyone - symbolically or literally - which is much worse.

Would you prefer your would-be murderer to be strong, fit, and competent, or a sluggish cripple?

Strength is only good when it is not in the service of evil.

Would you prefer your would-be murderer to be strong, fit, and competent, or a sluggish cripple?

Strength is only good when it is not in the service of evil.

In this context, the president is not your murderer, he is your defender against murderers. I would like to be defended by someone who is more "strong, fit and competent," yes.

The country is in decline. How could you possibly say otherwise?
I already explained that above. The country’s decline is the result of leaders like Obama and Bush as well as the bad philosophy they and many others hold.

Considering who is borrowing and who is lending in the America/Japan relationship, I'd say that if anything, Obama's asking for a favor of the Japanese, not apologizing.
And how can you possibly deduce that?

There is just no way that anybody could deduce Obama's intentions with this bow/handshake thing, let alone claim the mental causation of his physical actions.
Obviously we’re all speculating, but look at Obama’s speeches and actions. He has made a regular practice of highlighting our flaws before foreign audiences.

Are you being forced to read what I write? Come on - surely you could do better than that?
You’re the one who proclaimed this conversation to be “stupid”. If that’s the case, why are you wasting your time and mine?

In this context, the president is not your murderer, he is your defender against murderers. I would like to be defended by someone who is more "strong, fit and competent," yes.

The President is only your defender against murderers insofar as he acts in that capacity. I think the previous administration turned enough guns not only on innocent folks in other countries but back on us as well that your assertion is not on as stable of footing as you might like.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Obama is bad but he's not worse than Bush/Cheney, although he still has plenty of time to prove me wrong.

I think the previous administration turned enough guns not only on innocent folks in other countries but back on us as well...

I'm from Africa. Trust me: Your government has never turned any guns on you.

When they do (God forbid), you will not start that statement with "I think."

Obama is bad but he's not worse than Bush/Cheney, although he still has plenty of time to prove me wrong.

I find this to be remarkable. There are degrees of both evil and stupidity. Obama hasn't even been in office for a year yet and he has already demonstrated he's far worse than the Bush/Cheney disaster on almost every issue that actually matters.

Healthcare: B/C give us an idiotic prescription drug program for seniors, Obama takes a shot at socializing the entire system and destroying healthcare as we know it. This by itself makes Obama the worst president in US history, IMO.

Foreign Policy: B/C take years to fight wars that could have been won at a far lower cost, Obama can't even make a decision about whether we should be in Afghanistan while US soldiers die and he waltzes around the world on a series of apology tours giving hope to our enemies.

Government Spending, Taxation & the Economy: B/C spend absurd amounts and cut taxes which leads to big deficits, Obama wastes/spends absolutely astronomical amounts while unemployment skyrockets, deficits explode, and we hear about proposal after proposal to raise taxes on nearly every American.

Concerning the issues that have an impact on our everyday lives, Obama is far worse than B/C. We can repair the damage from B/C.... I'm not so sure about the damage that Obama is causing.

Edited by gags