Objectivism Online Forum

Call of Duty: MW-2

Rate this topic

TheEgoist

I'm not buying this game. I've heard from several people that this "story telling device" in the Russian airport forces you to kill helpless civilians with a machine gun. Thats crossing an uncrossable line for me. no thanks.

You are not forced to fire on the civilians ever, you can just walk with the people doing the shooting. You are killed by them at the end of the level, and you are asked twice, once before you start playing and once right before the mission if you would like to skip it because of scenes that may be considered disturbing.

For an Objectivist website there isn't much fact checking or objectivity in this thread.

Fact checking and objectivity are learned skills, they don't come in a package deal with a copy of Atlas Shrugged. It is part of the justification of this website to discuss and help the interested learn how to 'do' Objectivism. It is not a failure of the website or Objectivism if there are people here who are not yet consistent practitioners. You made a good comment because you provided facts and then you linked to the methodological issue. I wish could give you a gold star or a cookie for that. :)

Fact checking and objectivity are learned skills, they don't come in a package deal with a copy of Atlas Shrugged. It is part of the justification of this website to discuss and help the interested learn how to 'do' Objectivism. It is not a failure of the website or Objectivism if there are people here who are not yet consistent practitioners. You made a good comment because you provided facts and then you linked to the methodological issue. I wish could give you a gold star or a cookie for that. :)

I like this game a lot. I seem to be doing better at the multiplayer than I was doing on the first Modern Warfare LOL (PS3 handle themadkat). I admit I'm not too good at it.

As for the scene with the Russians, I mean, it's horrible but it's not. It's just a damn game. It's an excellent point that you do way worse in a game like GTA. And you do have the option to opt out of the mission, like 3 times (I had to select the option "never ask me again" to get it to leave me alone). Yes, you're mowing down civilians, and then guess what? You get executed by your own scumbag leader. It's very fitting. I think it goes with the game's storyline and theme very well.

I'm not buying this game. I've heard from several people that this "story telling device" in the Russian airport forces you to kill helpless civilians with a machine gun. Thats crossing an uncrossable line for me. no thanks.

What Jennifer said. Plus, I just shot over the heads of the civilians in case my "compatriots" would turn on me for not firing my weapon. (Little did I know...) I even let a few bullets stray into the terrorists.

Yea, it's just a game, but I couldn't bring myself to shoot the civilians. The SWAT and military force that come after the airport terminal are a different story. You've got to shoot them or they'll kill you.

A main theme in the campaign mode is betrayal, so there's not a real clear distinction between the "good guys" and the "bad guys" (though terrorists gunning down civilians are definitely "bad guys").