Objectivism Online Forum

Hello

Rate this topic

Hello all

My real name is Ethan. I'm 15 and have started reading Ayn Rand and have wanting to learn all I can about Objectivism. I'm not 100% sure if it is what I want to follow but that's why I'm here. I'll try to get into some discusses, but mainly here to ask questions and to learn.

Little bit about me, I live in Kansas. I love to learn about different philosophies along with economy and politics which of course sometime mixed. I'm a quick learner, in the 10th grade, and straight A student. I have a PS3, my username is caesar1994 feel free to add me. I have a facebook and if you want add me feel free Facebook. I have a hearing problem which has caused me have a little trouble with spelling so if something doesn't make sense point it out and I will fix it. Well that's it if you have any questions feel free to ask :(

Caesar

Hello and welcome to the forum. You've got a good attitude recognizing that you are still getting know the philosophy and so intend to try to ask questions and learn. I think there's plenty those of us here can do to answer questions for you when you have them and/or point you in the direction of further resources for answers when they may be of particular usefulness. As something to give a bit of context for where you may be at so far, what have you read or heard so far by Rand? :( And how did you happen to come across her stuff also? Was it by any chance a possible success of the programs to have Rand's books taught in high school, like the free books to teachers who will teach them and the essay contests for high school and college students? I always like hearing when those things have been successfully working to get people introduced to and interested in Rand's ideas and taking them seriously.

Hello and welcome to the forum. You've got a good attitude recognizing that you are still getting know the philosophy and so intend to try to ask questions and learn. I think there's plenty those of us here can do to answer questions for you when you have them and/or point you in the direction of further resources for answers when they may be of particular usefulness. As something to give a bit of context for where you may be at so far, what have you read or heard so far by Rand? :( And how did you happen to come across her stuff also? Was it by any chance a possible success of the programs to have Rand's books taught in high school, like the free books to teachers who will teach them and the essay contests for high school and college students? I always like hearing when those things have been successfully working to get people introduced to and interested in Rand's ideas and taking them seriously.

So far I have only read The Fountainhead and I'm half-way through Atlas Shrugged. Plus I have watched a few videos of her on youtube and have watched the lectures on Ayn Rand institute home page.

No sadly I didn't hear it through the school but instead my dad has a word doc. that has some of his fav. quotes and one was Ayn Rand so I look her up and couldn't stop reading on objectivism and found out some of my friends were also into her.

Are there any other books/videos that you would say would be good for a beginner?

So far I have only read The Fountainhead and I'm half-way through Atlas Shrugged. Plus I have watched a few videos of her on youtube and have watched the lectures on Ayn Rand institute home page.

No sadly I didn't hear it through the school but instead my dad has a word doc. that has some of his fav. quotes and one was Ayn Rand so I look her up and couldn't stop reading on objectivism and found out some of my friends were also into her.

Oooh, you're still in the midst of a first read through Atlas. Be careful then, this place has spoilers galore on that book. You may want to mention in any possible future threads you make that you still haven't finished that so people know not to spoil stuff and that, having not read certain parts yet, some examples they may normally use from the book in discussion wouldn't yet make sense to you, you don't know how certain situations arose. I'm currently in the middle of my first reread through of the book since I first came across it several years ago. Some things have been particularly funny when you read them with additional knowledge about what is going on or will be going on later in the book. :) I first read the book in high school too, but likewise had no such fortune as to have a school spiffy enough to introduce me to it. It was one of my best friends, one who has long been more well informed on the arts in general, who pointed her stuff out to me in the book store one day.

I also agree you may enjoy Anthem sometime. It was the first thing I read by Rand. It is a fairly quick read, especially as compared to her other stuff. Since it is out of copyright, you could even look it up and read it for free online sometime. Also, if you want a good starting place on non-fiction books once you've burned through the fiction, Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand by Leonard Peikoff could be good to pick up sometime. I'm a little past half way through that one and it has been good. It is a version book based off a lecture series Peikoff gave with Rand's approval that was meant to present a pretty orderly, generally overall summary of Objectivism.