Objectivism Online Forum

Few questions

Rate this topic

Caesar

What is the main religion followed by Objectivist?and why(is there a reason, does mix well with objectivism ideas)? From what I have seen in relationships section, Atheist, I think wasn't Ayn Rand one too?

How does one follow objectivism? I know this is kind of a board range answer. From what I have seen it means that you are fully yourself and don't allow others to effect your decisions which will be base on your drives, logic, and wants.

How is love mixed with objectivism as love is normally seen as a selfless act? Again from what I have seen/read as normal you find someone you like and love to hangout/talk/sex/etc. with and that that with give you pleasure which is a selfishness, while at the same time giving pleasure to your girlfriend/wife.

I'm new so my views are probably way off but it gives you a better idea of what I'm asking.

What is the main religion followed by Objectivist?
Atheism, if you can call it one. Miss Rand was one too.

How does one follow objectivism? I know this is kind of a board range answer. From what I have seen it means that you are fully yourself and don't allow others to effect your decisions which will be base on your drives, logic, and wants.
That would be an excellent start. You'd also need to follow reason instead of so called instincts (which do not exist). Also you need to give your full and whole hearted support to capitalism and the free market. I do believe one needs to believe in the free market more than such superstitious things as God. I always distrust the government, but as long as they serve capitalists, I am okay with the government. The only way the government can serve capitalists is by protecting property rights and individual rights of all its citizens. It should also never interfere in the economy. There should be full separation of the state and economy as between the state and religion.

Another favorite quote of mine: "There is no such thing as society." - Margaret 'Iron Lady' Thatcher

How is love mixed with objectivism as love is normally seen as a selfless act? Again from what I have seen/read as normal you find someone you like and love to hangout/talk/sex/etc. with and that that with give you pleasure which is a selfishness, while at the same time giving pleasure to your girlfriend/wife.
You cannot say "I love you" without saying "I". ^_^

I'm new so my views are probably way off but it gives you a better idea of what I'm asking.

I am a learner too and I tried to answer well to the extent I could. :)

What is the main religion followed by Objectivist?
Objectivists reject all religions, or other forms of irrationality.
How does one follow objectivism?
The first part is, identify what action is correct for your life. The second part is, "do that". For example if you know that you should set the alarm for 7:00 and get up and go to work, then step 2 is to do that -- and not decide "I can sleep in for a couple more hours".
How is love mixed with objectivism as love is normally seen as a selfless act?
True, that is a common misunderstanding of the nature of love. It's actually quite selfish -- it's highly selective. If you love someone, you are saying "You are a particularly special value to me, better that the other 6 billion people out there".

Objectivists reject all religions, or other forms of irrationality.The first part is, identify what action is correct for your life. The second part is, "do that". For example if you know that you should set the alarm for 7:00 and get up and go to work, then step 2 is to do that -- and not decide "I can sleep in for a couple more hours".True, that is a common misunderstanding of the nature of love. It's actually quite selfish -- it's highly selective. If you love someone, you are saying "You are a particularly special value to me, better that the other 6 billion people out there".

What is the needs for something to be irrationality? How is it irrationality to not want everything to end in 80 years?

"identify what action is correct for your life" so identify your wants and needs and act on those?

1/3 better then I thought

How is it irrationality to not want everything to end in 80 years?

It's fine and dandy not to *want* it to end in 80 years. It's irrational to clamp your hands over your ears and decide to believe that it isn't going to, and live your life in accordance with that belief.

It's fine and dandy not to *want* it to end in 80 years. It's irrational to clamp your hands over your ears and decide to believe that it isn't going to, and live your life in accordance with that belief.

O, so as long as I don't let it effect my way of life/decisions(much like I'm living now) it's ok, and would fit in?

It fits in when it does not contradict reality. Dead things are dead, not living. Living dead things are zombies and ghosts and have no basis for proof of existence.

When wondering whether something is an irrationality, it usually is irrational if it contradicts reality, you know it does or could easily know that it does and still choose to believe it

O, so as long as I don't let it effect my way of life/decisions(much like I'm living now) it's ok, and would fit in?
No, religion is so profoundly irrational that it's not okay. It's not just about the irrationality of believing in immortality. It's about the systematic rejection of reason and reality that is entailed by religion.

What is the main religion followed by Objectivist?and why(is there a reason, does mix well with objectivism ideas)? From what I have seen in relationships section, Atheist, I think wasn't Ayn Rand one too?

Here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

Here and here.

Here, here, here, here, here, and here.

What is the needs for something to be irrationality? How is it irrationality to not want everything to end in 80 years?

Here and here.

Now, I have a question. Have you tried the search button?

Edited by Howard Roark

^Yes I did.

^^I have to believe in a God or the Big Bang and the Big Bang is irrationality. So one remains, now it doesn't make 100% reason but more reason then the Big Bang so just pick neither because one side is fully reasonable.

Edited by Caesar

I have to believe in a God or the Big Bang
You have to believe the evidence of your senses. I am pretty sure that you should not believe in a Big Bang, because you don't have the knowledge background required to make that "recognition of a fact" in the same way that it is recognition of fact to say that dogs bark and that ice is cold. Try reading OPAR ch. 5, on the topic of "the arbitrary", to understand why your dichotomy is false.

^^I have to believe in a God or the Big Bang and the Big Bang is irrationality. So one remains, now it doesn't make 100% reason but more reason then the Big Bang so just pick neither because one side is fully reasonable.

Sorry, but that is an evasion.

It is rational and reasonable to believe nothing until you have rational objective proof of something.

Belief in God is against the most basic tenet of Objectivism which is A=A/Existence Exists.

That is not to say you shouldn't continue to read and study Objectivism despite holding on to this irrationality.

Many people believe in God when they first start reading Objectivism. Eventually they see the contradiction and give it up.

^^^^^ I guess "have" is a strong word but it is one of the biggest questions out there and I feel there-fore should be answered.

^^^^Could you post a link to a good scientist that says how the matter came to exist or was formed and/or non-living matter can became living, eating, recreating matter?

^^^ I'll look for Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand next time I'm in the book store.

^^Because I looked at the first 2 pages of the search and still had questions.

^Yet I'll still study it because it makes sense in most other areas.

Edited by Caesar

^^^^Could you post a link to a good scientist that says how the matter came to exist or was formed and/or non-living matter can became living, eating, recreating matter?

I would recommend Richard Dawkin's "The God Delusion". Dawkins is one of the best biologists/genetists and some chapters of this book will help you a lot, as it is written for laymen.

I believed in God for many years, Caesar. I was indeed a very religious person.

I think I can understand how you feel.

Placing a Creator before Big Bang does not solve anything, but rather complicates things and makes them less plausible. Who created the Creator? If it is difficult to understand how plain atoms came to existence (though there are very good explanations of Big Bang in many books and Internet resources) imagine how difficult would be to explain an all-knowing, omnipotent God, who, according to Judaism, Christianism and Islam, is a personal God.

But let's face it, Caesar:

Do you ask God advice when you take important decisions? Do you wait for his response?

Do you do things that you don't like to do to please God? Or do you avoid doing things for fear of displeasing God?

Do you do things expecting to be rewarded by God? Do you avoid doing things for fear of being punished by God?

If your answer to these questions is No, you might be aware, at some level, of the truth: that God does not exist. And that is why you live your life the best you can, regardless of any divine intervention, intention, purpose or recognition.

You might say "I believe in God", but your daily life shows you give a damn.

If God cannot hear you, work for you, reward you, punish you, help you. What is the point of your belief?

Now if you stick to such an irrational belief, you will sooner or later fall into all kind of irrational beliefs.

For example, if God exists, does he think? does he have things to tell you? If so, how he will communicate these things to you? Whispering in your ears? Through a verse in a sacred old text? Through a bishop or priest? Through a dream, a vision, an hallucination?

And how will you be sure it is God talking to you? What if it is the devil? Or your imagination? Or a goblin? How can you prove that goblins and elves do not exist?

How can you know that, by trying to convince you of the non-existence of God, I am a satanic agent, typing on my keyboard guided by unspeakable evil?

The way of irrationalism is a slippery slope that leads to the rendition of your mind, your most important tool for survival and happiness.

Edited by Hotu Matua

I would recommend Richard Dawkin's "The God Delusion". Dawkins is one of the best biologists/genetists and some chapters of this book will help you a lot, as it is written for laymen.

I believed in God for many years, Caesar. I was indeed a very religious person.

I think I can understand how you feel.

Placing a Creator before Big Bang does not solve anything, but rather complicates things and makes them less plausible. Who created the Creator? If it is difficult to understand how plain atoms came to existence (though there are very good explanations of Big Bang in many books and Internet resources) imagine how difficult would be to explain an all-knowing, omnipotent God, who, according to Judaism, Christianism and Islam, is a personal God.

But let's face it, Caesar:

Do you ask God advice when you take important decisions? Do you wait for his response?

Do you do things that you don't like to do to please God? Or do you avoid doing things for fear of displeasing God?

Do you do things expecting to be rewarded by God? Do you avoid doing things for fear of being punished by God?

If your answer to these questions is No, you might be aware, at some level, of the truth: that God does not exist. And that is why you live your life the best you can, regardless of any divine intervention, intention, purpose or recognition.

You might say "I believe in God", but your daily life shows you give a damn.

If God cannot hear you, work for you, reward you, punish you, help you. What is the point of your belief?

Now if you stick to such an irrational belief, you will sooner or later fall into all kind of irrational beliefs.

For example, if God exists, does he think? does he have things to tell you? If so, how he will communicate these things to you? Whispering in your ears? Through a verse in a sacred old text? Through a bishop or priest? Through a dream, a vision, an hallucination?

And how will you be sure it is God talking to you? What if it is the devil? Or your imagination? Or a goblin? How can you prove that goblins and elves do not exist?

How can you know that, by trying to convince you of the non-existence of God, I am a satanic agent, typing on my keyboard guided by unspeakable evil?

The way of irrationalism is a slippery slope that leads to the rendition of your mind, your most important tool for survival and happiness.

I'm most along the lines of Deism so those questions I answer No.

I mainly look as it this way, I would rather have a gun(belief) and not need(afterlife) it and not have a gun and need it.

I mainly look as it this way, I would rather have a gun(belief) and not need(afterlife) it and not have a gun and need it.
If one carries an empty gun in the belief that it is loaded, it may do one more harm than good. Of course you could get lucky, but it is a gamble. Mostly, I'd rather know the truth about my weapons.

BTW, what you say sounds like a variation of "Pascal's wager". Are you familiar with it, and with the counter-arguments?

^^^^^ I guess "have" is a strong word but it is one of the biggest questions out there and I feel there-fore should be answered.

Should be answered and has been answered are two different things. Don't make the mistake most people make and think that you must have an answer when there isn't enough information to come to a conclusion. Come to a conclusion when (or if) there is sufficient information to form the proper conclusion, not just some conclusion that will occupy some space in your mind. It's okay not to know the yet unknown.

I would rather have a gun

The "gun" is your mind and your capacity for rational thought. You shouldn't load it with blanks just so you can feel more comfortable with the chambers being full. The life you know you have NOW needs the loaded gun, not some imagined life that you think may exist after you die, the life for you which you have zero evidence.

If one carries an empty gun in the belief that it is loaded, it may do one more harm than good. Of course you could get lucky, but it is a gamble. Mostly, I'd rather know the truth about my weapons.

What harm could it do? It's a gamble I'm willing to take. If effect's my life none beside the few min.s I send talking with you guys and others about(which would last longer if I said no god).

The "gun" is your mind and your capacity for rational thought. You shouldn't load it with blanks just so you can feel more comfortable with the chambers being full. The life you know you have NOW needs the loaded gun, not some imagined life that you think may exist after you die, the life for you which you have zero evidence.

And that is you logic. Like the other person said, it's a gamble, I put nothing down and have a chance to win everything and lose nothing seems to me a rational thought. As far as evidence, you can't 100% prove or 100% disprove god, you can get close. So I have two picks and one of them doesn't make sense(until science can recreate it) then the one left, however improbable, is what I believe.

Alright this is getting boring. Everyone's rational belief works different this is what mine believes. So just make a closing ague and try to leave no questions

Edited by Caesar

What harm could it do? It's a gamble I'm willing to take. If effect's my life none beside the few min.s I send talking with you guys and others about(which would last longer if I said no god).
This talk of gamble is actually an empty boast, because you do nothing at all about it, not even spending a few minutes -- unless it is to argue that there is this belief in your mind that causes you to take no action at all, and to make no other decisions at all. What gamble is that? What kind of wimpy God do you think you can placate by doing absolutely nothing in terms of action or at least in terms of guiding some other thoughts?

And that is you logic.

Alright this is getting boring.

No, that is logic, not 'my' logic.

However, you want to believe what you want to believe so logic has no place in an argument against you.

That being the case, I suggest you believe in the giant purple space goat... His promised rewards are much greater than God's. He is a better gamble.