Objectivism Online Forum

The $100M bribe to LA Senator worked

Rate this topic

brian0918

The $100 Million bribe for Senator Mary Landrieu of Louisiana that's embedded in Harry Reid's Healthcare bill was enough to buy her vote, she's just announced. As usual, the honorable NYT reporter left out the reason why she's decided to vote for the bill.

Just absolutely disgusting.

Institutionalizing the value of the dollar means institutionalizing productivity. No one has the intellectual fire/philosophy to fight it, especially not our politicians, otherwise they'd act. I'm going into medicine as well, though no one is going to tell me how to saw open someone's skull, socialized health care or not.

Edited by MoralParadise

Institutionalizing the value of the dollar means institutionalizing productivity. No one has the intellectual fire/philosophy to fight it, especially not our politicians, otherwise they'd act. I'm going into medicine as well, though no one is going to tell me how to saw open someone's skull, socialized health care or not.

I don't know if I follow what you're trying to say.

What I do know is that, neither through theory or experience, I have never associated government dollars and productivity.

Edited by freestyle

Well, the silver lining is that most of the people who voted for it today are still not sold on the actual bill. Lieberman said he would not vote for it if it still contained a public option, so there's still a decent chance it'll get blocked at the vote to close debate and actually vote for the bill.

Gotta love procedural hurdles ^_^

Of course, all of these yes voters who claim to be on the fence are quite obviously asking to be bought off with future additions to the bill. When they say, "the bill still needs work but we should debate about it" what they are actually saying is, "my demands haven't been met yet, and ill use the senate debate as a platform to plea so that my special interests are met or else I won't vote for it."

The bill was originally over 1900 pages, now its closer to 2200 after buying a few senators, these debates have no potential to shrink this bill. The only two outcomes that are possible is that the bill will further swell to buy off the needed votes, or it won't pass at all. The administration has shown that they are willing to play with language and make additions to the bill so that it can get passed in the short term (the vote on saturday was just testing the waters so they would know how close they are to being able to get it passed). Once it is passed (and I think it will be) the government will change it in any way it sees fit to further expand its power. Power does what it wants. Healthcare in America will be ruined.

Someone tell me how one Senator bribes a second Senator with taxpayer money to vote for a bill that is going to cause all sorts of chaos? Does anyone not see the problem with this? What now stops other senators from bribing other senators with huge payouts of taxpayer money? I'm sure this is not the first time this has happened, but probably never on this scale. A hundred million here, a hundred million there...and pretty soon we're talking serious money.

Someone tell me how one Senator bribes a second Senator with taxpayer money to vote for a bill that is going to cause all sorts of chaos? Does anyone not see the problem with this? What now stops other senators from bribing other senators with huge payouts of taxpayer money? I'm sure this is not the first time this has happened, but probably never on this scale. A hundred million here, a hundred million there...and pretty soon we're talking serious money.

That already occurred. Did you read any of the articles about the first bailout? It was flooded with pork to buy votes.

I don't know if I follow what you're trying to say.

What I do know is that, neither through theory or experience, I have never associated government dollars and productivity.

What I am saying is that when the government decides to play the role of capitalist, productivity is institutionalized, and the free market economy dies. Individual rights can only be guaranteed in a free market economy. I am by no means pro health care. I don't see any theory/practice divides as all my theories are verified by reality.

The $100 Million bribe for Senator Mary Landrieu of Louisiana that's embedded in Harry Reid's Healthcare bill was enough to buy her vote, she's just announced. As usual, the honorable NYT reporter left out the reason why she's decided to vote for the bill.

Just absolutely disgusting.

Do you have any source for this bribe thing? It would be very useful in combating liberal morons.

Do you have any source for this bribe thing? It would be very useful in combating liberal morons.

Political bribes have been around forever. They're called pork but that label is just a form of evasion. They are bribes. The links already in this thread should suffice.

Edited by brian0918