Objectivism Online Forum

Truth

Rate this topic

Nicko0301

Why does man put such emphasis on the truth? Namely, why is the concept of truth of such significance to man? People generally dislike deception, and I am personally disconcerted by ideas such as nihilism. But why is this generally the case?

Also, what would it do to a person if he held the idea that absolutely nothing was knowable or true? I, for one, don't know how anyone could carry on like that.

Edited by Nicko0301

Why does man put such emphasis on the truth? Namely, why is the concept of truth of such significance to man? People generally dislike deception, and I am personally disconcerted by ideas such as nihilism. But why is this generally the case?

Also, what would it do to a person if he held the idea that absolutely nothing was knowable or true? I, for one, don't know how anyone could carry on like that.

Your question amounts to:

"Truth who needs it?"

"Truth what's it good for?"

"Truth what good is it?"

I.e., what is the connection between truth and value? Is truth a necessary condition for man's life and/or the enhancement of his life?

What is the connection between truth and successful action, i.e., the achievement of values, i.e., the sustainment and/or the enhancement of one's life?

The connection is that man must have true reasons for his actions, and true plans based on those reasons to be successful.

A plan of action must be true for it to succeed. A plan of action is a necessary condition for the achievement of any given value.

Successfully completing a plan of action to achieve some goal requires that the plan(s) is true.

Example of a simple plan (with a huge margin for error, and low level of risk):

Goal: Going to a new doctor.

If your directions to the doctor are not true, you will not make it there without course correction, if at all.

If your beliefs about what's required to get there are not true, such as how much gas you have in your car; or how much time is required given your belief about the traffic patterns; then you may also fail.

As the context of the goal changes, i.e., the circumstances and/or conditions relating to all factors involved with the goal; then the margin for error could decrease and/or the risk to your life could increase.

E.g., if you are hiking and your directions for your path are not true, you could get lost.

Or if your estimations of your ability (beliefs of yourself), do not correspond to the terrain and/or circumstances as they really are (your beliefs about the context involved with the goal), your plan may be very flawed (contain false conclusions or lack requirements), could endanger your life or reduce your margin for error.

E.g., Depending on where you are hiking and what time of the year, you could have a very limited time to course correct (get help etc).

E.g., if your general life plan does not correspond to the requirements of your life as you've chosen your goals, .e.g., you want to keep your job and improve your position by leading your boss to the conclusion that you are dependable (maybe because you want to be a manager). You careless life plan may be responsible for you over sleeping, not giving yourself enough time for traffic, and or misplacing your keys etc. The life plan is not true, given the out come you desire, i.e., conveying that one is dependable can not be achieved if one is habitually late, forgetful, disorganized, and/or careless.

Thus we could say one's plan (or lack there of) does not correspond to the factual requirements necessitated by one's desired results. The plan is not true.

The truth of your beliefs mean if they correspond to the facts, factors, context, circumstances involved with your goal.

A small mistake in a plan and/or the antecedents for the plan can cost you time or it could cost you your life.

Again this can be as trivial as misplacing your keys, and being late to work, or it could be mistakenly venturing into a hostile environment such as a bad neighborhood.

We could put these points this way:

Success requires truth. I.e., one must know what they are doing and why. One must know where they are and why?

Truth keeps one's actions corresponding to fact.

Man's life requires he knows where he is and what he is doing at all times, which means his life requires those beliefs are true.

Edited by phibetakappa

The other answers are good but I'll add the interior perspective.

People choose what to think and do based on reasons, truths. When a person tells lies he is attempting to control another person by means of those accepted reasons. People object to being slaves but being a puppet is even worse.

The only way to be consistent with the idea that absolutely nothing was knowable or true would be to enter a catatonic state and do nothing. Different persons only 90% consistent with the idea will be wildly different in their behavior based on what parts of the world they consider to be knowable. You could have an anti-social mountain man, or religious hermit, or a conformist or a crime boss.