Objectivism Online Forum

The swiss vote to ban minarets

Rate this topic

It seems the nationalists are gaining in political power about everywhere in Europe:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/11/29...ndum/index.html

This "group warfare," competition for collective powers from the government, is always going to create problems. Swiss muslims will definitely push back, and they'll have a reason. Unfortunately this just convolutes the debate concerning Islam.

It seems the nationalists are gaining in political power about everywhere in Europe:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/11/29...ndum/index.html

I don't agree that the people who voted were all "nationalists". When Islam finally takes over Europe , all Europeans will lose their individual rights (whatever the have now). Something must be done to stop this. However this is a government action and I do not support such actions that restrict the freedoms of a people who are nevertheless medieval mystics who will impose totalitarianism over Europe. So, yeah, this is an evil misguided act.

I don't agree that the people who voted were all "nationalists". When Islam finally takes over Europe , all Europeans will lose their individual rights (whatever the have now).

If you bothered going to Europe, or at least checking with someone who's been there, you'd learn that it's not about to be taken over by Islam.

I don't agree that the people who voted were all "nationalists". When Islam finally takes over Europe , all Europeans will lose their individual rights (whatever the have now). Something must be done to stop this. However this is a government action and I do not support such actions that restrict the freedoms of a people who are nevertheless medieval mystics who will impose totalitarianism over Europe. So, yeah, this is an evil misguided act.

I've never met a muslim. I'm european.

Instead of the outright banning of minarets the Swiss govt ought to: 1) wholly ban any amplified calls to prayer from the minarets 2) ban any form of religious favoritism or declaration of islams greatness, etc in swiss government and swiss government edicts 3) proactively have the swiss govt pursue and destroy islamic threats to its nation both domestic and foreign 4) no tax dollars can be used for the funding of any islamic church, group, or activity.

You oppose government force to restrict the freedoms of people who follow a doctrine which calls for the restriction of freedoms of others?

A lot of the people who vote against the minarets are of a conservative; they want to keep their country the way it is, for some voter this means they want to keep it mostly Christian, for some it means they are afraid for their safety (especially gays and woman) or loss of freedom (everybody) in the future if they let immigration from Muslim countries continue.

Note the hypocritical reaction by turkey:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe...,664641,00.html

who is a member of the OIC, which tries to ban all criticism of Islam:

http://www.internationalfreepresssociety.o...st-free-speech/

You oppose government force to restrict the freedoms of people who follow a doctrine which calls for the restriction of freedoms of others?

I think you need to reconsider what you just said there from an Oist point of view.

When you encourage the govt to restrict freedom in one area they generally don't stop there. One day they are restricting someone else's rights.. the next day they are coming for yours. You will probably not find many lovers of Islam here. You will also not likely find many supporters of govt intervention in the lives of individuals, period.

You're calling for a restriction of freedoms, by the government. That's a doctrine which calls for the restriction of the one freedom that would give Europeans a chance to preserve their freedom: the right to free speech, and expression.

So you're calling for the obliteration of the one foundation absolutely necessary for the construction of a free Europe, for the sake of a silly theory about Islam taking over in 50 years through the "weapon" of population growth.

• 3 weeks later...

Building a mosque and minarets is not an act of aggression. Terrorism is an act of aggression. These are two totally separate things. The Swiss government should not have banned the construction of minarets because, as I said, such construction is not an attempt to impose Islam on the Swiss population through force. It is a free, non-coercive expression of the beliefs of a large group of people.