Objectivism Online Forum

Does anyone else get discouraged . . .

Rate this topic

Nicko0301

For some reason, I cannot contemplate certain subject--like philosophy, physics, existence etc.--without a concomitant sense of anxiety. I believe that everytime I begin to reflect on these matters, I am reminded of how odd the universe ultimately is. I subsequently become overwhelmed by a sense of uncertainty and fear. Objectivism has, to a certain extent, assuaged my discomfort; but it is still inevitably recurrent.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has experienced anything similar (I doubt it), or if anyone has and insights/advice.

Thanks.

In what way do you consider the Universe to be odd?

That's just the thing: it is difficult to articulate the feeling. It is just this feeling I get when I look at the world. I'll invariably think to myself,"How weird that all of this exists," and "Why does this exist?" Then I'll be stricken by an acute anxiety.

I'm sure this all sounds rather strange.

Edited by Nicko0301

That's just the thing: it is difficult to articulate the feeling. It is just this feeling I get when I look at the world. I'll invariably think to myself,"How weird that all of this exists," and "Why does this exist?" Then I'll be stricken by an acute anxiety.

Not really.

I imagine your anxiety is caused by a feeling of things being arbitrary.

That's what philosophy exists for. To prove to you that this is not all arbitrary, that you are in control of your own life.

I think as your personal philosophy solidifies your anxiety will diminish.

Not really.

That's what philosophy exists for. To prove to you that this is not all arbitrary, that you are in control of your own life.

Thank you. Indeed, I'm currently reading OPAR and it is enormously helpful.

Not really.

Thank you. Indeed, I'm currently reading OPAR and it is enormously helpful.

You're probably just in the Matrix :P

'

It's alright if you want to be an insensitive idiot, but could you please refrain from such asininity in regard to this thread? Seriously, if you have nothing useful to contribute, why post?

You may be unaware Nickos that The Matrix thing is kind of a running gag. I'd be suprized if insult was intended.