Objectivism Online Forum

fundamental conflict between science and religion

Rate this topic

Godless Capitalist

GC, I don't think the ideal world would be full of professional (fully studied) Objectivists. It would simply be full of people who believe in life, rights, and freedom - meaning, were altruism/collectivism/mysticism not the primary philosophies taught all over the world and instead people began to uphold virtue, the world would be a whole lot better. America circa 1800 - 1900 was nearly such a place. Leave philosophy to the ivory tower - to the academy, the few necessary politicians, the journalists, the concerned citizens, the think tanks. Rand's Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, New Intellectual and Virtue of Selfishness, as well as Sowell's Basic Economics and for an historical perspective a copy of the nation's founding documents, is nearly the complete education of a life/rights/freedom society in my opinion.

Also, if RC and DAC were running, I'd vote for DAC. On the issues frontier, there wouldn't be an issue of environmental regulation except as far as how fast it should be undone - "yesterday" as compared to "before it was signed into law". The actual campaign would be entirely a personality/connections contest. To an Objectivist, government should have no powers whatsoever beyond police, justice, and defense. There are absolutely zero issues, and as Rand said, government should be a tiny robot, with no personality and no desire to help, simply going about its delegated duty of protecting the citizens from physical force and the threat of it.

You are right that there are at least some people annoyed by the insults, the lack of respect, the lack of explanation, and the lack of consideration for new knowledge on the part of some radical capitalist (or is it red cap / red beret?) mods. And an attempt to ban you would result in a 75% drop in discussion here, bad for the pr.

To an Objectivist, government should have no powers whatsoever beyond police, justice, and defense.  There are absolutely zero issues, and as Rand said, government should be a tiny robot, with no personality and no desire to help, simply going about its delegated duty of protecting the citizens from physical force and the threat of it.

If the only crimes in our society were obvious rights violations like burglary and murder, I would agree with you, but it's not that simple. Just saying "no initiation of force" doesn't go very far when it comes to complex issues like pollution. RC and DAC agree that some forms of pollution are rights violations; they just disagree about exactly what actions are considered a violation. I think RC is right, but it is not a simple issue that anyone can easily grasp.

PS Thanks for the support. It's been a week, so I think RC may have failed to get the other moderators to agree to ban me. It must be very frustrating for him. (If they do ban me, it's no big loss to me.)