Objectivism Online Forum

Government Can Dismantle Healthy Corps.

Rate this topic

Devils_Advocate

http://www.mcall.com/business/all-a20_over...0,4363369.story

WASHINGTON - A House committee voted Wednesday to give the government the right to dismantle financial firms that are so big, interconnected and leveraged that they could harm the U.S. economy, even if they are healthy.

This is beyond ridiculous. I mean, really? I keep waiting for someone, ANYONE, in Washington to stand up, point a finger at me, laugh, and say "Ah, we we're just screwin' with you, we know that's insane."

I feel like it would be sacrilegious to economics to explain why this is so wrong. Can anyone tell me why on earth - economically - anyone would even being to consider something like giving the government the power to dismantle a fine company? There's got to be more of this I don't know (PS: I saw this on Cavuto the other day, it's not just publicly traded companies even, it's any company). Please, let me know there's something else going on here, some evil scheme to destroy the US, some big joke I'm left out on, but please don't tell me people actually think this is sound, right, moral, etc. etc.

Please?...

Anyone?...

This is beyond ridiculous. I mean, really? I keep waiting for someone, ANYONE, in Washington to stand up, point a finger at me, laugh, and say "Ah, we we're just screwin' with you, we know that's insane."

I feel like it would be sacrilegious to economics to explain why this is so wrong. Can anyone tell me why on earth - economically - anyone would even being to consider something like giving the government the power to dismantle a fine company? There's got to be more of this I don't know (PS: I saw this on Cavuto the other day, it's not just publicly traded companies even, it's any company). Please, let me know there's something else going on here, some evil scheme to destroy the US, some big joke I'm left out on, but please don't tell me people actually think this is sound, right, moral, etc. etc.

Please?...

Anyone?...

I have read about this proposal as well and find it equally alarming. Everyday I come across an overwhelming number of men and women my age or younger who regard corporations, profit, and human activity of any kind that doesn't involve sacrifice as morally wrong. It's truely terrifying to behold.

Please?...

Anyone?...

Hahaha

When we see a perfectly healthy person, let's just kill him. He could after all be too big to fail.

When I see a perfectly mint condition statue, I'm going to take it and throw it off a cliff.

There is no logic to this. If something is perfectly healthy, we dismantle it?

Edited by Black Wolf

When we see a perfectly healthy person, let's just kill him. He could after all be too big to fail.

Actually, if any individual ever comes close to developing a cure for cancer, or a remarkable new technological development that could save thousands of lives, we shouldn't risk his or her safety. We should lock them up in a secure room and make sure they're never put in harm's way.

I wonder when it will be too much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Is this not the "logic" behind AntiTrust? :)

But freedom allows us to monopolize! That's why we have been regulating and regulating and regulating in the 1910-1920s, which did not have a role in causing the Great Depression that was caused by free-market capitalism, and that's why no monopolies have formed after that!