Objectivism Online Forum

Casual Sex Vindicated by Teenagers?

Rate this topic

ZSorenson

I saw the headline for this article and was curious:

Casual Sex Doesn't Hurt Self-Esteem

After reading the article - which cites a survey of teenagers about their sexual experiences and feelings relating to them - I realized the findings aren't what I had first thought.

I doubt that teenagers in today's cultural and philosophical climate have a really sound sense of self-esteem.

"Hey, Billy, do you feel bad about it after you hooked up with that hot blonde the other night?" response: "Um, HELL NO!"

My personal rational standard for sex (whoa, I'm not trying to get personal, note how I give no shred of anecdotal evidence of the application of this standard one way or the other - I'm just waxing philosophical), is two fold.

First, I must have some meaningful connection to the person. This is a broad categorization, so I'll define it by using negatives. According to this standard, rational sex does not have to be reserved for marriage, or even an anticipated lasting romantic relationship. Secondly, sex is not rational if there is hardly any relationship established. Examples of 'meaningful connection' without desire for lasting relationship- grew up together, argued, at odds philosophically, but admire each others' intellectual depth and willingness to engage, no intention of a lasting relationship, but sex remains an expression of a real admiration - experience traumatic situation together, or some significant if short-lived event.

The second necessary standard is a little courtship and romance. I think if sex is truly rationally justified, it is more than worth it to 'go through the rounds' rather than 'having at it'. I suppose this could occur very quickly, or perhaps circumstance would prevent it but the first standard holds sufficiently strong to justify a 'hook up'. Still, without a proper 'escalation of courtship' sex becomes 'just a thing'.

Good standards?

Well, even if you don't think so, my main point is in response to the article: that casual sex does hurt self-esteem. It hurts it because it disarms a person from having the means to properly express valued people through the most proper channel - by valuing self.

That your highest joy is expressed on behalf of just - some blonde. (no offense to good blondes out there)

Edited by ZSorenson

• 3 months later...
Well, even if you don't think so, my main point is in response to the article: that casual sex does hurt self-esteem. It hurts it because it disarms a person from having the means to properly express valued people through the most proper channel - by valuing self.

Also, I feel your "standards" are questionable, but I cannot point out what exactly the error is that I have a feeling is in there at this time.

I don't agree with you that casual sex hurts self esteem. Performing an act you enjoy is hardly ever a blow to your self esteem. However, I do believe that casual sex is a reflection of low self esteem. One must first have already lowered oneself to the level of just "some blonde", then the sex can be defined as casual.