Objectivism Online Forum

Red Cliff

Rate this topic

Grames

It was good. This a feudal war movie with action, strategizing, ruthlessness, deception, and skullduggery. The southern kingdoms of the Han are the center of civilization, and they ally to fight off a brutal usurping general having no class at all.

Like Hero, I think it mainly serves to puff up chinese nationalism, with chinese construed as Han.

I enjoyed Hero, for the visual elements. Is it as well done as Hero, in that respect?

Much less visual poetry is present here, and some of the CGI is obviously CGI. But it is still excellent camerawork in its own right. The director here is John Woo, Hong Kong action guy who has been working the Hollywood system for the last decade and more.

I have not seen it yet, but I want to.

Have you seen "Mongol"? (A Genghis Khan movie) I enjoyed it, it was far less mystical and much more about individual triumph than I thought it would be.

I saw Mongol a few weeks ago, thought it was decent. I'm guessing the subtitles were oversimplified, a lot of short lines losing all the nuance of the language - "I have to find my wife." "Why do you have to find her?" "She is my wife." - etc. The heavy rock music at the end destroyed the mood for me, though, esp. after sitting through a couple hours of Chinese zither music. It's supposed to be the first in a trilogy.

Thanks for the recommendation Grames - I'll check it out.