Objectivism Online Forum

The Coming VAT

Rate this topic

gags

I think we can see how this is going to come about. Here are Obama's comments from an inteview he did on CNBC this week:

In the CNBC interview, Obama said he was waiting for recommendations from a bipartisan fiscal advisory commission on ways to tackle the deficit and other problems.

When asked if he could see a potential VAT in this nation, the president said: "I know that there's been a lot of talk around town lately about the value-added tax. That is something that has worked for some countries. It's something that would be novel for the United States."

"And before, you know, I start saying 'this makes sense or that makes sense,' I want to get a better picture of what our options are," Obama said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100421/ap_on_bi_ge/us_obama_tax

Obviously the "bipartisan fiscal advisory commission" is going to recommend the imposition of a VAT. This will give Obama the political cover he needs.

• 7 months later...

Surprise surprise, Obama's "bipartisan" deficit commision has taken up the fight for a VAT. One thing is for certain, if they get a VAT through claiming it is temporary or for deficit reduction, it will be a tax that NEVER goes away.

"Seven months after the Senate knocked down the idea of a value-added tax, the VAT is back on the table -- one of a host of familiar proposals that has been recycled as a proposed answer to the nation's financial problems.

Entitlement cuts, military spending cuts and new taxes such as the VAT are among the back-to-the-future options that members of President Obama's deficit commission have proposed as the 18-member panel meets to try to hash out a final report to the White House and Congress.

In April, the Senate passed a resolution on a 85-13 vote that said such a national sales tax would "cripple families on fixed income and only further push back America's economic recovery."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/nov/29/vat-back-as-proposal-to-solve-revenue-ills/?page=1

This tax needs to be fought against just as hard as people opposed Obama-Care. It is another part of this President's plans to fundamentally reshape America in the image of a Euro-style social democracy.