Objectivism Online Forum

Feds Owe Uncle Sam $3B in Unpaid Taxes

Rate this topic

gags

With all of the talk in D.C. about raising taxes on the rest of us, we should demand that Federal employees pay up.

WASHINGTON - At a time when the White House is projecting the largest deficit in the nation's history, Uncle Sam is trying to recover billions of dollars in unpaid taxes from its own employees. Federal workers owe more than $3 billion in income taxes they failed to pay in 2008. According to Internal Revenue Service documents, 276,300 federal employees and retirees owe $3,042,200,000.

http://wtop.com/?sid=1838232&nid=428

Based on the numbers above, the average amount of delinquent tax owed by a Federal empoyee is just over $11,000, not a small sum according to most people's standards.

I particularly liked this part of the story:

The agency with the most tax scofflaws is the U.S. Postal Service, with 28,913 employees who owe $297,933,756.

Maybe the checks got lost in the mail! :)

I read an interesting statistic recently: over 500,000 Federal employees earn over $100,000 a year. From the linked article:

The highest-paid federal employees are doing best of all on salary increases. Defense Department civilian employees earning $150,000 or more increased from 1,868 in December 2007 to 10,100 in June 2009, the most recent figure available. When the recession started, the Transportation Department had only one person earning a salary of $170,000 or more. Eighteen months later, 1,690 employees had salaries above $170,000.

I read an interesting statistic recently: over 500,000 Federal employees earn over $100,000 a year. From the linked article:

To give them their very little bit of "due", no federal employee is allowed to "earn" more than the president, whatever it is at this time, somewhere around $200,000 I expect. So, there are a lot of them all stuck just under $200k. When the pres gets a raise, all the others do too.

To give them their very little bit of "due", no federal employee is allowed to "earn" more than the president, whatever it is at this time, somewhere around $200,000 I expect. So, there are a lot of them all stuck just under $200k. When the pres gets a raise, all the others do too.

AFAIK presidential salary is currently (since 2001) at: $400,000/year + $50,000 expense account

• 7 months later...