Objectivism Online Forum

Children's Book Recommendations for ESL/EFL English Teachers

Rate this topic

Hello all, this is my first post!

I am 23, and among other projects, soon I will begin another year of teaching English, (I've a few years of experience in California and Taiwan) to elementary and middle school students (age 10-15) at a relatively good, yet still disgustingly and catastrophically regulated private school in Seoul Korea. I have been given the blank check from my boss for buying English books to use in the classroom. I would like to know your suggestions for entertaining, colorful, interesting books or collections of stories to read with these students. Most of all, I'm interested in choosing books with GOOD IDEAS, that would provide opportunity for discussion about achievement, science, and concretize some concepts. I believe the purpose of early education should be the preservation of a child's ego, so I'm trying to undo some of Korea's damage to these minds, and give them some English learning at the same time.

Please do keep in mind that these are English learners. "Anthem" is probably beyond their reach linguistically, but those of course are the types of ideas I'm here to spread (implicitly, when not explicitly). I liked "Hatchet" by Gary Paulsen when I was young, and I also read a lot Roald Dahl when I was a kid. For still younger children, I'm thinking about (the English version of) "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, or "The Magic School Bus" series. "Curious George" or "The Berenstain Bears" series would be good for my youngest students. I also love using the "I Spy" series by Jean Marzollo and Walter Wick for building vocabulary, and getting students engaged in looking at the interesting pictures.

So what are/were your favorite children's books? How did they contribute to your values?

Edited by Nick M