Objectivism Online Forum

Stossel's Atlas Shrugged 8pm Thursday Fox Business Channel

Rate this topic

http://www.aynrand.org/site/News2?page=New...ws_iv_ctrl=2553

Does anyone know if Fox will put this up on their site afterwards? Otherwise, is there any way we could get a recording of this up on the net for those of us that don't have Fox Business Channel? I would hate to miss out on this, not only because of the subject but since I have always liked John Stossel a good deal, and we have to pay extra for the channel here since our college only has regular cable.

http://www.aynrand.org/site/News2?page=New...ws_iv_ctrl=2553

Does anyone know if Fox will put this up on their site afterwards? Otherwise, is there any way we could get a recording of this up on the net for those of us that don't have Fox Business Channel? I would hate to miss out on this, not only because of the subject but since I have always liked John Stossel a good deal, and we have to pay extra for the channel here since our college only has regular cable.

I've seen the "healtcare" Stossel show (aired on Dec-10) on youtube.

Maybe they upload the AS show also.

http://www.youtube.com/therightscoop#p/search/7/nGs-KqOa-BA

I just watched it, and I was quite happy with it. The first half hour was exclusively Objectivist, and Yaron Brook did an amazing job answering questions from the audience, especially when he explained how Objectivism is not about whim-worship.

The next half hour, though not as good, still focused on the violation of individual rights, and ended by telling the audience about how Atlas Shrugged is still a huge seller and with John Stossel encouraging them to read it.

I think the best moment in the show was when John Allison (Chairman of BB&T) was asked if it was fair that he made $7 million last year, to which he replied "I earned it." :D

Stossel means well but his presentations are middle-brow and superficial. Also the audience is noisy and distracting. I prefer the Charlie Rose Approach: A plain wooden table, good guests and no-audience.

I haven't seen this episode yet, but I agree completely. The Charlie Rose format is perfect, and I couldn't stand the audience participation from Stossel's first episode. You destroy all opportunity for deep insight when you have to take idiotic questions from the audience.

Edited by brian0918

Stossel means well but his presentations are middle-brow and superficial. Also the audience is noisy and distracting. I prefer the Charlie Rose Approach: A plain wooden table, good guests and no-audience.

Bob Kolker

Same here. Audience participation is great for entertainment, but ruins serious discussions.

I just watched it, and I was quite happy with it. The first half hour was exclusively Objectivist, and Yaron Brook did an amazing job answering questions from the audience, especially when he explained how Objectivism is not about whim-worship.

I agree, I was pleasantly surprised that the guests were able to convey as much as they did. Usually it is frustrating to watch people try to explain Rand in sound bites. Brook's explanation on selfishness was the first time I've seen someone given enough air time to fully make the point. John Allison also was able to clearly make the important distinction between rational self interest and self destructive, irrational greed.

Edited by freestyle

The Stossel show on AS will be repeated tonight, Friday, on the Fox Business Channel.

I think it is unfortunate that Stossel only spent one half hour on AS, a topic that could go on for hours, especially for those who only have a superficial knowledge of Objectivism. The second half hour was spent mainly on one concrete of government interference and I don't think that was too helpful. At least something was aired on a national broadcast about Ayn Rand's philosophy and that is a positive.

The Stossel show on AS will be repeated tonight, Friday, on the Fox Business Channel.

I think it is unfortunate that Stossel only spent one half hour on AS, a topic that could go on for hours, especially for those who only have a superficial knowledge of Objectivism. The second half hour was spent mainly on one concrete of government interference and I don't think that was too helpful. At least something was aired on a national broadcast about Ayn Rand's philosophy and that is a positive.

To some extent, but I thought ending on "rational self-interest" in such a positive way was great! That certainly is not a concrete!

What time? :o

What time? :o

I think 10 EST (not 100% sure though).

I watched it last night (watching it again right now on tivo), and it was (is) fantastic! I've never seen John Allison before, so that was really cool. He's an excellent spokesman. When I heard the Texan accent, the first thing that came to mind was "Midas Mulligan? You mean the banker who looked like a truck driver - and acted like it too?" (-Lee Hunsacker, I believe.

And I loved the little illustrations of the characters that they had. Far, far cries from what I had in my mind, but they still did a great job.

Stossel ahs said he's experimetning with the audience, and he thinks so far he has mixed results. Bottom line he'll amke some more shows with an audience until he decides whther to keep that format or not.

Bob Kolker

Agreed. I tuned in to the first show and was greatly disappointed. Everything seemed way too deliberate and hokey. The green telephone was just stupid and further brought down the serious factor. In fact, the first show affected me so much that I didn't even care to watch the AS episode.

Edited by RussK