Objectivism Online Forum

I totally own a pipe now

Rate this topic

So my girlfriend just bought me a pipe. i had always half-jested that I wanted one, to complete the look and style of a true philosopher. I figure since I have it now, I might as well use it. So, if there are any other O'ists acquainted with TOBACCO (Not O'ist stoners, plz :D ), any suggestions of where to buy? What brand of tobacco? I'm associated with rolling tobacco from my less intelligent teenage stoner days, when I would mix it with weed. Is rolling tobacco the same kind of stuff you would use in a pipe? Is there any fundamental difference?

So my girlfriend just bought me a pipe. i had always half-jested that I wanted one, to complete the look and style of a true philosopher. I figure since I have it now, I might as well use it. So, if there are any other O'ists acquainted with TOBACCO (Not O'ist stoners, plz :D ), any suggestions of where to buy? What brand of tobacco? I'm associated with rolling tobacco from my less intelligent teenage stoner days, when I would mix it with weed. Is rolling tobacco the same kind of stuff you would use in a pipe? Is there any fundamental difference?

First, welcome to the club. I'd recommend finding a good high-end tobacco shop nearby. The owners are usually pipe affectionados who are more than happy to show you how to properly stuff a pipe and keep it lit(harder than it seems) They usually suggest smoking a dry blend. There are dozens if not more flavors to pick from so you really just have to smell them and try them out. My personal favorite so far is called Mithral. It has a bit of a cherry flavor to it. I would also recommend starting with a straight pipe as it is easier to keep lit.

I'll get a pic when there is an appropriately large and bad ass smoke circle coming out of it :D

EDIT:

Thanks for the advice, aequalsa. I'm currently looking for a good shop in my city (Buffalo). In your experience, do grocers/gas stations sell any decent pipe tobacco or should I strictly stick with specialized shops?

Edited by TheEgoist

Nice, I too got into pipes (and cigars, but that's beyond the scope of this topic.) I have a couple of straight pipes. I've got Captain Black in different flavors, but when I want something really tasty I got a bag of 'Whiskey' flavored blend from a local tobacco shop. I definitely enjoy the local blend over the Captain Black, however the Captain Black cherry flavored tends to smell best to others when smoked.

I'll get a pic when there is an appropriately large and bad ass smoke circle coming out of it :D

EDIT:

Thanks for the advice, aequalsa. I'm currently looking for a good shop in my city (Buffalo). In your experience, do grocers/gas stations sell any decent pipe tobacco or should I strictly stick with specialized shops?

It's really more about personal preference. If something at a grocery store strikes your fancy, then great. I don't subscribe to the school of thought that higher price necessarily means higher quality. I will say this though, that in addition to the owner's knowledge, a benefit of using a tobacco store is that they typically have their tobacco in bulk so you can smell it and in the better ones, smoke it first.

Pipe smoke smells very good. I don't smoke anymore, but it would be something if regular cigarette tobacco smelled as good. Out of curiosity, how is a pipe smoked; do people inhale the tobacco all the way through to the end, or is it similar to smoking a cigar?

Pipe smoke smells very good. I don't smoke anymore, but it would be something if regular cigarette tobacco smelled as good. Out of curiosity, how is a pipe smoked; do people inhale the tobacco all the way through to the end, or is it similar to smoking a cigar?

More like a cigar than a cigarette. Sorta have to puff it in and out though.

If you are going to puff on a pipe do it right.

1. Keep the bowl lower than the open end of the stem or nasty tobacco juice will leak out on our tongue (yucchh).

2. Draw slowly. Savor the smoke. Also drawing slowly keeps the temperature of the smoke low so it won't burn the tip of your tongue. Let the smoke roll over the tongue then let it out through the nose to get the full aroma.

3. Make sure the tobacco in the bowl is sufficiently moist. Dry enough to burn, but moist enough so it does not burn too hot.

4. You will inhale some of the smoke. There is really no way to prevent that. So a certain amount of damage will accrue to your respiratory system, but not nearly as much as would by cigarette smoking.

Bob Kolker

Anyone know what the risk of smoking a pipe without inhaling is? I'm curious if there's any real risk.

Cancer of the tongue, cancer of the lip, cancer inside the mouth. Risk of lung cancer is minimal.

The problem is hot smoke (see advice I gave on smoking a pipe) and nasty tobacco juice. That stuff is very bad for mucous tissue.

Bob Kolker

Thanks for all the advice and such. I ask again, is using rolling tobacco appropriate?

ALso, picture. It's not a straight pipe. It is a straight philosopher.

No sir! Rolling tobacco is for cigarettes and burns way hotter than a proper pipe blend. Go to a tobacco shop with a room size humidifier and get proper pipe tobacco. In days or yore when I smoke a pipe I preferred aromatic blends. Pipe tobacco is cut so it burns much cooler than cigarette tobacco. As I explained in a prior posting, you don't want the tobacco in the bowl of the piper to burn any hotter than necessary. And even then, it will go out on you and you will have to relight. A good pipe blend is a bit pricey, but if you want the tastiest experience you will have to pay more.

I should warn you that pipes and cigars are more expensive per puff than cigarettes, but they burn slower so you consume less per unit time. A good cigar (to be enjoyed after a proper meal and with a smooth brandy) is a slow pleasure and of course a pipe is for people with a long time horizon. That is why priests and philosophers favor a pipe.

Bob Kolker

Thanks for all the advice and such. I ask again, is using rolling tobacco appropriate?

I think not. I know little about pipes, but the cut of the tobacco is different. It may not burn well in a pipe.

I do recommend using matches or a pipe lighter (it shoots the flame sideways), rather than regular cigarette lighters (fames shoot upwards). And of course you need to keep the pipe clean.

As an ex smoker, regarding the practise itself all I can say is ghak. Why anyone who has apparently managed to avoid smoking cigarettes would wish to take up smoking a pipe of cigars is beyond me. Completely aside from the well known health implications of this self-destructive habit there is the smell on your clothes, your skin and your breath your possessions, the lessening of the taste of food and drink, the way it makes your teeth yellow.

Ok... :D I'm done ranting now. I hereby return you to the evasion in progress. :P

j/k

As an ex smoker, regarding the practise itself all I can say is ghak. Why anyone who has apparently managed to avoid smoking cigarettes would wish to take up smoking a pipe of cigars is beyond me. Completely aside from the well known health implications of this self-destructive habit there is the smell on your clothes, your skin and your breath your possessions, the lessening of the taste of food and drink, the way it makes your teeth yellow.

Ok... :D I'm done ranting now. I hereby return you to the evasion in progress. B)

j/k

Pipes and cigars actually taste good (I actually love the smell of burning pipe tobacco). Though they are not free from risk, they are not a full-time habit like cigarette smoking. I smoke a cigar once every few weeks, and my pipe has been unlit for years. I actually smoked my pipe nearly daily when I bought it, but I found that the tobacco was sold in pouches that were too large; it invariably dried out before I could finish it.

I smoke cigars occasionally. I usually don't find the taste while smoking it all that great, but I find the after taste and the smell of the smoke mildly enjoyable. Taking everything in account: price, risks, and pleasure, I don't right know why the hell anyone would smoke regularly, if at all.

I actually smoked my pipe nearly daily when I bought it, but I found that the tobacco was sold in pouches that were too large; it invariably dried out before I could finish it.

Tobacco dries out easily. Though surprisingly cigarettes in sealed packs can stay fresh for years.

Cigars ought to be kept in a humidor. I don't know if something similar is available for pipe tobacco. You could try storing it in a wooden box with a damp rag (damp, mind, not droppig wet). Just sprinkle some water on the rag daily or as needed.

Unrelated, but for keeping things dry the best thing are sillica gel packets. Rice also works remarkably well as a dessicant. I put two raw grains of rice inside salt shakers to keep the salt from clumping due to moisture. At the rate I consume salt, I can tell you the rice will keep the salt un-clumped for years.

Woops, didn't finish my post, hah! anyways, I was going to say- the closest I've ever gotten to smoking a pipe is when I had one in my mouth when I sang the role of Hindley in Carlisle Floyd's opera "Wuthering Heights." I rather liked the look, even if I was playing a complete bastard:

post-4438-1263720228_thumb.jpg

Edited by kainscalia