Objectivism Online Forum

Tattoo Ideas

Rate this topic

CapitalistSwine

That is certainly the stereotype, but then who cares about the stereotype, especially if the tattoo is something very personal?

I see it this way; there are people who appreciate tattoos and there are people who don't appreciate tattoos. I got mine for me. If someone else appreciates it, nice. If they don't, I don't really care. While I agree that the consideration to ink your skin is important, I think sometimes it gets way over-analyzed by folks making generalizations about tattooing.

I'm considering getting my children's hand prints and names tattooed somewhere on my shoulder (I don't have any kids yet). I think we're on the same page about having the tattoo be a chronicle of a real significant part of your life, instead of expecting a tattoo of something significant to somehow reshape your life. Am I understanding you correctly?

Exactly. Using your tatoo idea, it would be something like believing that a horrible relationship with your children would somehow be fixed by the metaphysical presence of the ink on your skin. IMO getting your childrens name, handprint, or likeness tatoo is always a good bet, its not something youre likely to regret later.

j..

• 1 month later...
Ok moving on. So does anyone have a suggestion of what FONT type would be best for the John Galt oath as a black tattoo? i.e. "I swear by my life and my love of it...etc"

In response to this question only, I have a tattoo on my inner bicep from Anthem. It reads, "I am the warrant and the sanction." I too was trying to figure out what font would be best for a plain text/quote tattoo. I decided to let the tattoo artist write it out in his own handwriting. I thought this was the best way to express my ideas on individualism.

I just don't see the point, they are cheap, they are tacky and they are juvenile.

then don't get one.. your opinion is not really a necessary sanction for others to choose to get them.. this is a matter of personal preference :) and so there is very little room for objective logical argumentation, and so i will not even ask for one

• 7 months later...

My new ink - it's half-way done and still needs the coloring.... I'm loving it so far!!!!

Its a tear-away of the skin to reveal the flag underneath. It was just done last night so a lot of the redness is agitation. When it heals up, I'm going back for the coloring.

I realize some folks won't like it, probably think its hideous.... nevertheless, I thought on this one for a long time before doing it.

76099_452783086747_592326747_5527860_3715614_n.jpg

Nice work, hope you post the finished piece.

I've got four, all black. Haven't done a new one in a long, long time. Have one designed that I've been wanting for three years now, just haven't been able to make the time. Reading this post is making me think that I may just have create some time if it doesn't exist. :thumbsup:

While its larger and more pronounced than anything I would ever personally get, I think the detail was done well and I think the flag idea is pretty original. Usually these types of things = a robot reveal. Question: Are those drips going to be colored in as blood?

Either way I hope you post a picture of it when it is finished.

Say, that's really something. It's intense, but I think I like it.

My new ink - it's half-way done and still needs the coloring.... I'm loving it so far!!!!

Its a tear-away of the skin to reveal the flag underneath. It was just done last night so a lot of the redness is agitation. When it heals up, I'm going back for the coloring.

I realize some folks won't like it, probably think its hideous.... nevertheless, I thought on this one for a long time before doing it.

76099_452783086747_592326747_5527860_3715614_n.jpg

Nice work, hope you post the finished piece.

I've got four, all black. Haven't done a new one in a long, long time. Have one designed that I've been wanting for three years now, just haven't been able to make the time. Reading this post is making me think that I may just have create some time if it doesn't exist. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I will definitely post the finished work. That should be in 3 or 4 weeks after this heals up good.

Yea, three years is a good long time to be sure of what you want. I took my time thinking about this one as well.

Are those drips going to be colored in as blood?

Yea, but my idea is that they will be red, white and blue drops. I'm going to talk more with the artist before its done to see how well he thinks it will work. He was a pretty nice guy and has been in the business about 14 years. I liked the work in his gallery so I thought he would do well and so far I'm very pleased.

Say, that's really something. It's intense, but I think I like it.

Yea, it is a little intense. I wanted something that looked semi-realistic without being too gross - freshly "torn" bur not over the top. I can't wait to get the color in there because it should REALLY pop then.

Wow, definitely post a picture when the color is finished. How long did the session take?

I will. It was basically 3 straight hours. He took about a 2 minute break twice during the session but was actively inking the rest of the time. I have to be honest, I was feeling it and although I would have loved to finish it in one session, I didn't mind giving it a rest after that. :)

• 3 weeks later...

The finished work basically has eliminated any of the complaints I would have had about the first picture. Nice job. I probably would have gone without the blood on it but thats more a personal preference.

Edited by CapitalistSwine

Thanks all!!

The finished work basically has eliminated any of the complaints I would have had about the first picture. Nice job. I probably would have gone without the blood on it but thats more a personal preference.

Yea, I get that. I can see it either way, but I wanted a few dribbles to make it look "fresh".

It was harder to visualize without the color so I understood why folks couldn't quite see it. I was pretty sure when he was about half way through the initial session that the color was really going to add bang to it.

Edited by RationalBiker

• 2 months later...