Objectivism Online Forum

Tattoo Ideas

Rate this topic

CapitalistSwine

Cool. So what does that one mean to you?

Let me give you the condensed version. I hope I can relay this so that it makes some sense.

A variety of experiences in my life has resulted in the realization that I am taking a lot of things too seriously. I wouldn't doubt this has been reflected in my posting on the forum at times.

Most transparently, I like Fireball candy, and Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey. The tattoo itself comes from part of the logo for Fireball Whiskey, but the artist "breathed a lot of life" into it.

Less transparently, I want some of the "burn" back of enjoying life without getting bogged down in over-analyzing everything.

This tattoo serves as a visual reminder of some experiences in my life (that I will not elaborate on at this point) when I should have just relaxed and found a different way to handle. It's just a big plus that I love the visual design and colors. :) I'm a very "visually stimulated" person I guess (hence my on/off relationship with photography).

As an aside, I have one more tattoo planned on my other forearm over the next couple of weeks. If it pans out, I'm sure I'll put it up here.

My experience with girls who have nose or facial piercings is that they are trend followers who have no regard for their bodily integrity or their beauty.I wouldn't want them for fear of hepatitis. Same with tattoos. When they get over the trend, they have a hole or scare hanging there, a lasting mark of their foolishness. When I see someone with a ring through their nose, I see a water buffalo just waiting to be lead around. When I see a tattoo on someone, that's all that I see. The person is reduced to their tattoo. To see a woman with Twitty bird on her ankle is not cute. I sense trash. I wouldn't want that for the mother of my children. My thought is that tattoos do not present individuality, but the destruction of self. "I don't want to be scene. I want my tattoo to be scene." Branden talked about visibility as a key to human intimacy. A tattoo eliminates that entirely. Not every Catholic carries a 3 inch cross around their neck to show their devotion. If a dollar sign is too cliche to show your support for capitalism, maybe the McDonald's arch will suit you. Do you get what I mean? There's a difference between a superficiality of holding a person's natural looks against them versus the bias or revulsion towards those who knowingly and by choice foul their natural endowments, usually for the worse.

• 4 weeks later...

I've always enjoyed a variety of games, particular cards, and more particularly Poker. I found a particular deck with Aces that had "character", albeit somewhat 'dark' looking. Also, the "A" on the cards make me think of A is A. :)

Stage 1:

180785_10150096425001748_592326747_6336920_5423682_n.jpg

The only thing really lacking is the back ground coloring, a stained look with brown and sepia.

While I don't think I would ever consider getting tattoo's like you have gotten, nor as many, I will say the ones that you have gotten are of high-quality, detailed, and very well done, which cannot be said of most tattoo's. So good job. Personally, I like your cards one just the way it is right now.

Edited by CapitalistSwine

While I don't think I would ever consider getting tattoo's like you have gotten, nor as many, I will say the ones that you have gotten are of high-quality, detailed, and very well done, which cannot be said of most tattoo's. So good job. Personally, I like your cards one just the way it is right now.

Thanks.

I'm pretty pleased with the artist that has been doing my work. I can go to him with the rough idea and he's able to see how to do it like I want and do it well.

My experience with girls who have nose or facial piercings is that they are trend followers who have no regard for their bodily integrity or their beauty.I wouldn't want them for fear of hepatitis. Same with tattoos. When they get over the trend, they have a hole or scare hanging there, a lasting mark of their foolishness. When I see someone with a ring through their nose, I see a water buffalo just waiting to be lead around. When I see a tattoo on someone, that's all that I see. The person is reduced to their tattoo. To see a woman with Twitty bird on her ankle is not cute. I sense trash. I wouldn't want that for the mother of my children. My thought is that tattoos do not present individuality, but the destruction of self. "I don't want to be scene. I want my tattoo to be scene." Branden talked about visibility as a key to human intimacy. A tattoo eliminates that entirely. Not every Catholic carries a 3 inch cross around their neck to show their devotion. If a dollar sign is too cliche to show your support for capitalism, maybe the McDonald's arch will suit you. Do you get what I mean? There's a difference between a superficiality of holding a person's natural looks against them versus the bias or revulsion towards those who knowingly and by choice foul their natural endowments, usually for the worse.

It is a shame that you are mentally and emotionally incapable of rationally guiding your mind past a knee-jerk reaction like that.

Much as I fight to overcome my intial response which is to totally disregard the words of someone who doesn't know the proper usage of "scene" and "seen" <_< it might be behoove you to try to actually get to know people beyond your prejudices.

To say that you can't find someone attractive who has chosen certain modifications is completely reasonable.

To dismiss them as "trash" says more about you than it does them.

but I was curious if anyone had any ideas for symbols/pictures etc. or specific font types for the text.

Been thinking about something shorter from Rand or a dollar sign myself.

I would get something in bold black print, tall lettering. Impact isn't bad. Looks like a statement.

Would avoid gothic or script, except maybe to create the effect of something like the Declaration of Independence or to add a signature.

• 3 weeks later...

Since we are on the subject of tattoos I thought I'd chime in with my two cents. The only thing I will say about tattoos is that you really should commit to something with color. Black tattoos lose their contrast after a few months and that bold black color sort of fades into a blackish gray. I got my tattoo after reading AS for the first time, I don't have a picture to post here but check out my profile to see it. Hope this helps with your decision!

Edited by ChefGuy89

That was taken when the tattoo was relatively fresh - I'd say thats 2-3 weeks after it finished healing. That was two years ago this summer, while I don't believe it is as luminous as it once was, the colors still pop and the contrast is very defined against my normal skin tone. As long as you do your best to keep it out of sunlight, and to make sure you get plenty of suntan lotion on it when you are in the sun or lounging on the beach - you shouldn't be too worried about the colors fading dramatically. That being said I will likely get it touched up in a year or so to keep it looking brilliant. B)

Colorful tattoos are just a lot more appealing to the eye than the traditional solid black pieces that a lot of people have. Outside of that, just be sure you get a really good tattoo artist. When I went to the gentleman I used, I gave him an idea of what I wanted and he came back with something totally different but even better than what I had envisioned. I looked at his sketch and was blown away that something so freaking epic was about to be a permanent part of me. Make sure he/she understands the significance of your piece and they will do amazing work for you.

Edited by ChefGuy89

• 4 months later...

Hey guys!!! first post as a new member and what a fun start.

I must say that there are a lot of interesting takes on this issue both in agrement and in opposition but the problem with the latter, in my opinion, seems to be that is based on the concern of others. It assumes that a tattoo is a projection to others and that any joy or hard times must come by their reaction to it. A tattoo (particularly an objectivist one) can be a constant reminder of your values to yourself. its permanence is much like the eternal bonds of a marriage. it is a vow to uphold yourself to your values forever. It is also an inescapable presence much like living in a house designed by Roark. if you are not worthy of its intent or stray from its meaning it will serve as a constant reminder of your lac of character, if you stand by those values it will serve as a monument to your greatness, your unwavering dedication to stand by your values. of course we must understand that we live amongst other people and how they think of us may be a factor to consider. but that must come secondary to how we feel about ourselves. I would suggest placing your tattoo in an area that will be visable when you need it the most. i would think that a tattoo of Galt's oath would be great across your chest so that when you look in the mirror in the morning it is right there as a burning symbol of the words that you belive. I as a hairstylist want a tattoo that says "Form Follows Function" on my outer fore arm so during a consultation with a client it can serve as a reminder that i should be building a shape that fits them ascetically, stylistically, and according to their desired upkeep. An "A is athiesm" tattoo would serve you well vertically on a thumb so that if your ever caught in a situation where you feel the need to pray it will remind you of the senselessness of prayer. though it seems to me that the intent of this tattoo is provocation rather than inspiration in which case the wrist is an excellent placement. a tattoo on you back is purely ornamental which is fine but keep that in mind.

Just my two cents

-Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I've got 'A is A' in italics on my right shoulder blade. Simple, cool, and interesting to those not in the know.

I have tattoos on my hands so when I make a fist, one reads: "A i s A" across the fingers of one hand and "Ayn Rand" across the other, with the "a y n" being in between my knuckles.

I've been thinking of getting a tattoo on my inner forearm: "Howard Roark laughed." or possibly: "Howard Roark, Architect" ... I do want to include some sort of image besides the font but I haven't decided. With regards to other people seeing it: I simply don't care. The last thing on a rational man's mind is seeking approval of strangers and how he *may* be perceived... I'm proud to be an Objectivist and if I choose to declare it on my skin then I am ethical to pursue what I want for myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Earl,

If you’re considering a dollar sign, perhaps Jessie Jame’s ‘pay up sucker’ tattoo might provide some inspiration (though getting tattooed on the palm of your hand must hurt).

http://stevenlesliejohnson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Jesse-James-Pay-Up-sucker.jpg

I've thought about getting a dollar sign tattooed somewhere.