Objectivism Online Forum

2010 Index of Economic Freedom

Rate this topic

philosopher

Dang, we sunk below Canada? Seriously? This is a sorry state of affairs.

I think Russia is going to be investing in Canada instead of the U.S. ... hang on looking for story.

Here it is:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/22f1bd26-05db-11...&SID=google

If America sinks too low it will lose international respect. We are respected for our freedom, economic and military power. Lose those things and nobody will care. We'll be a has been.

I think this change in ranking reflects what happened in financial, housing, and automotive industries. It is also a forecast for things to come as a result of those changes.

And the US government continuing to spend the money of it's citizens great, great, great grandchildren...

If America sinks too low it will lose international respect. We are respected for our freedom, economic and military power. Lose those things and nobody will care. We'll be a has been.

That's an important point I think. The Index focuses on the link between economic freedom and prosperity, but there is also a link between economic freedom and military power. If the government has too many big social programs they can't afford a big military.

I thought everyone hated us for our economic and military power. I mean, that's what liberals keep telling me.

In a lot of cases, it's not the overall economic freedom that matters to individuals, but whether there are punishing restrictions in their personal area. I wouldn't want to live in Australia, for instance, even though it's near the top, because of the absurd controversy going on there about M-rated VIDEO GAMES of all things. (That, and there aren't many developers in Australia and games tend to be released late there). To a lot of people, this is not something they're going to worry or care about, but it is an issue to me because that's my chosen field.

A numerical summary is not always the best way to express a complex total.

Um, I thought Hong Kong was strictly regulated??? How does that equate to economic freedom?

The criteria (level of taxation, property rights, regulation, etc.) are explained in some detail on the website. I'm sure if you look into it more, you'll find it explained what aspects of the Hong Kong economy are more free than the US one. I'm sure taxation is the first thing, but there are others as well. To me, it made sense, as long as one keeps in mind that this is strictly about economic opportunities, especially for investors, not for people intending to raise a family.

Obviously, the strength of the US also lies in its free speech, gun rights, democratic political system, civil rights, etc., all of which are not considered in this "economic freedom" rundown, but should be kept in mind if you have plans beyond investing in a foreign country, or living and working there only for a limited time, while retaining the option of returning to the US. Or, you can move to Switzerland. That country is looking better and better every day.

• 11 months later...

If you care about your career, Hong Kong and Singapore are great places to be. Even if you don't work there, incorporating there might be something to think about. No special reason to bank in Switzerland anymore after some recent events.

Famed investor Jim Rogers packed his bags and moved to Singapore once he decided to start a family. Singapore is usually at the top of international tests evaluating student skills like math, science, and literacy. Hong Kong, South Korea and Taiwan are usually not far behind. Plus, he wanted his kids to grow up speaking fluent mandarin.

That whole region has a lot of great places that have bright futures, including Shanghai, Australia, New Zealand, Macau, Hong Kong, Singapore, and other cities that are set to grow in emerging countries. On the other hand, outlook for the US is not so bright.