Objectivism Online Forum

From where do these concepts come?

Rate this topic

Unless I am mistaken--and please inform me if I am--Objectivism maintains that concepts, all of them, come ultimately from an observed reality. If so, how does one account for concepts such as the supernatural/chimerical (i.e., goblins, an afterlife, God, et cetera)?

Unless I am mistaken--and please inform me if I am--Objectivism maintains that concepts, all of them, come ultimately from an observed reality. If so, how does one account for concepts such as the supernatural/chimerical (i.e., goblins, an afterlife, God, et cetera)?

You are mistaken. Objectivism holds that there are invalid concepts and "stolen concepts" which are not derived from observing reality but from logical errors. One accounts for those concepts because individuals have the ability to abstract attributes from one entity and combine them with abstracted attributes of other entities.

Edited by A is A

Concepts are the product of an intentional, volitional act and are therefore fallible. All mental contents derive ultimately from outside consciousness but in this context "derived" cannot mean deduced because invalid operations are possible. Derive here merely means it comes from another source, not from within.

• 2 months later...
One accounts for those concepts because individuals have the ability to abstract attributes from one entity and combine them with abstracted attributes of other entities.

Also, the ability to specify quantities that were never measured.

Cows jumping over moons come to mind.