Objectivism Online Forum

Altruism=evil, does that mean charity = evil?

Rate this topic

I was just reading this topic, and I thought of the following:

What are the reasons that make you want to give money to charity?

Some possible answers I thought of are:

1: Because you want to. Some sort of "selfish altruism" in which helping others without affecting your own life or economy simply gives you joy or pleasure.

2: Because there's a benefit for you or someone you know on a long term. Like someone else mentioned, giving donations to the Alzheimer research because a member of your family or a friend has the syndrome.

But these are the true reasons why many people gives money to charity:

1:Be famous. Some people give money to charity because they want to be known as "good people", but they don't do it because they a have a purpose behind it, or because it gives them another kind of satisfaction but increasing their own "ego".

2: Clean their names or give themselves a good name they don't deserve. It happens a lot on my country (Mexico) where a politican with fame of being corrupt gives money to charity in order to celan his name. Some people believe that one single "selfless" actin redeems them of their crimes. Very much like the "repent system" from cristianity.

But these are the true reasons why many people gives money to charity:

1:Be famous. ...

2: Clean their names or give themselves a good name they don't deserve. ...

That happens in the US as well - but while there are no doubt many people who do this - there are also many people who give for the reasons you listed above. The United States is home to a surprising number of un-ostentatious millionaires who give quite heavily to charity in a very quiet manner. (Source: The assorted works of Dr. Thomas Stanley's research into the habits and lifestyles of millionaires)