Objectivism Online Forum

Evil in a Super Bowl ad

Rate this topic

Pokarrin

My first thought: "Do they really think this is a good way to sell cars?"

My second, and far more disquieting thought: "Is it?"

I found the commercial sickening, but I wonder how many of my fellow Americans are actually caught up enough in this 'green guilt' silliness to find it entertaining.

Audi commercial

From the Audi facebook page, someone pointed this out:

"The Green Police was a name used in Nazi Germany to refer to the German Order Police, or Orpo, who were given the moniker because of their green uniforms. The Orpo weren't merely traffic cops, however. According to the Jewish Virtual Library, one battalion was central in sending Jews, Poles and Gypsies to concentration camps."

My first thought: "Do they really think this is a good way to sell cars?"

My second, and far more disquieting thought: "Is it?"

I found the commercial sickening, but I wonder how many of my fellow Americans are actually caught up enough in this 'green guilt' silliness to find it entertaining.

Audi commercial

I thought the ad was especially heinous, since that is precisely the direction we are heading.

I actually thought the ad was hilarious. Of course, I was hoping the product wasn't going to end up a green product, but still... The ad showed the utter stupidity of regulating personal behavior.

The reason it is funny is because it is so absurd. It makes fun of "the green police". At least, that is how I take it. Think about it, what would your typical global warmer say about that ad? Would he say, "Cool, in a perfect world, we would have a green police like that." lol Having to confront that ultimate absurdity has to strike people deep down... somewhere.

Edit: Here is that ad - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq58zS4_jvM

Edited by freestyle

Anyone who would want that commercial banned wouldn't qualify as pro-choice. (Just as, btw, many that claim to be pro-life are no such thing)

It's a private decision to not show the commercial, so no, it isn't anti-choice.

If that is a "controversial" ad, then the pro-abortion folks need to get a clue and return to being pro-choice... Nothing in there struck me as controversial.
Please do not convert this thread into another abortion discussion.

Yeah, why wouldn't they?

If that is a "controversial" ad, then the pro-abortion folks need to get a clue and return to being pro-choice... Nothing in there struck me as controversial.

It wasn't so much the ad as the organization sponsoring the ad. They are very much anti-abortion rights.

I actually thought the ad was hilarious. Of course, I was hoping the product wasn't going to end up a green product, but still... The ad showed the utter stupidity of regulating personal behavior.

The reason it is funny is because it is so absurd. It makes fun of "the green police". At least, that is how I take it. Think about it, what would your typical global warmer say about that ad? Would he say, "Cool, in a perfect world, we would have a green police like that." lol Having to confront that ultimate absurdity has to strike people deep down... somewhere.

Edit: Here is that ad - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq58zS4_jvM

I took it half way seriously, because I know that's the way these people think. They are trying to control our lives now and with some success.

I thought the ad was funny, in that laughing-at-evil sort of way. The music fits perfectly.

As I watched the ad I was struck by all of the eco-fascist positions presented in a humorously over-the-top way. I thought the funniest part was when the Green Police were chasing the man around the pool because his hot tub was set at 105F. But then there's the scene where a man is arrested for possession of an incandescent light bulb. It is sobering to think that here in Canada an allegedly "Conservative" government has committed to banning incandescent light bulbs, and that many Western countries have similar bans in progress. A rational person can watch this ad and laugh at the sheer absurdity of the ecofascists. But if a true believer in the ecofascist plan were to watch the ad, they would approve of everything the Green Police do.

Is Audi laughing at evil, or do they support it?

I took it half way seriously, because I know that's the way these people think. They are trying to control our lives now and with some success.

What it is making fun of is a serious issue, for sure.

I just know that when ridicule of stupidity finally seeps into popular culture, it is a good thing. With the latest exposed emails, the frigid temperatures, and now a commercial like this, I've noticed many more people making jokes about "global warming" and even stating flatly that it is a fraud. I've found type of thing was a much rarer occurrence in the more recent past.

Some people here aren't very familiar with the structure of a joke. You can't make fun of something by simply affirming it, without the underlying assumption that the contrary is true. This commercial doesn't assume that environmentalism is flawed in any way, in fact they are trying to sell the Green Car of the Year.

The "this is a joke" excuse doesn't apply.

P.S. the commercial is also a blatant ripoff of those 'Australian Outback Border Police' Toyota ads.

Yeah, why wouldn't they?

It's hardly controversial. In fact, it's nearly devoid of any kind of content whatsoever. But that was not the ad that was originally slated to run, from what I understand.

Some people here aren't very familiar with the structure of a joke. You can't make fun of something by simply affirming it, without the underlying assumption that the contrary is true. This commercial doesn't assume that environmentalism is flawed in any way, in fact they are trying to sell the Green Car of the Year.

The "this is a joke" excuse doesn't apply.

P.S. the commercial is also a blatant ripoff of those 'Australian Outback Border Police' Toyota ads.

I think you might be forgetting that this is, specifically, advertising. Advertising attempts to appeal to as many people as possible, so while you're right that the ad doesn't assume environmentalism is flawed, it also does NOT assume the contrary either. (If it did implicitly or explicitly it would not have been as effective as it is.)

This is an effective ad because the "joke" plays for people on both sides of the green political argument. This is an objective truth noted by the fact that this is the most talked about ad, by far, and countless comments by actual viewers on the youtube clip and other articles around the www confirm that there's a marked balance of support by both pro and anti AGW respondents. To me, it is absolutely hilarious how people on both sides think it pro-actively supports their view. The truth is, it is all in the INDIVIDUAL's interpretation (As it was intended to be, assuming the makers of it understand basic advertising principles).

The responses are along the lines of:

#1 - Natural Skeptic of AGW - They're making fun of the extreme and saying that even if you want to be "green" you don't have to be an idiot who sacrifices his lifestyle if you buy this car. (I've read a ton with that general sentiment... most seem to see the "joke" in making fun of the "Green police".)

#2 - Natural AGW Proponent - (Here's a direct quote) "To me, it was a fantasy. The fantasy world of the eco-villain getting their comeuppance, while I drive off into the wild blue yonder in my clean diesel (which no doubt I would trick out to SVO). Whee!

Sure, maybe Audi was making fun of me and "my kind" (I didn't get that feeling). But, no matter; I'm happy to let my eco-freak-flag fly and laugh about it too."

#3 - An Objectivist - That shit isn't funny. That's real. That's where we're headed.

As much as I agree with #3 on a very fundamental level... I still can't help laughing my ass off at #2. So, it makes me laugh... whether it is a properly constructed joke, or not.

It's hardly controversial. In fact, it's nearly devoid of any kind of content whatsoever. But that was not the ad that was originally slated to run, from what I understand.

I didn't hear that. I thought it wasn't known the whole time... I didn't mean to get side tracked into an abortion debate though, I was just pointing out that the actual ad was not controversial. If someone wants to make the argument that that the right choice is always life, I just let it be... When they take that to mean they would have the government force that choice, that's where I like to point to the hypocrisy. If one doesn't understand that a "right" cannot contradict a "right", then it is easy to understand where the argument is going to go astray.

By the way, apparently that ad is now being attacked for promoting violence against women since Tim Tebow tackled his mom in it.

(link)

NOW president Terry O'Neill said it glorified violence against women. "I am blown away at the celebration of the violence against women in it," she said. "That's what comes across to me even more strongly than the anti-abortion message. I myself am a survivor of domestic violence, and I don't find it charming. I think CBS should be ashamed of itself."

LOL - I just keep me away from people like that. (I'm assuming that is a fringe view. Well, I hope it is.)