Objectivism Online Forum

ARI Intellectuals

Rate this topic

Thales

I just want to make note that I am impressed with the intellectuals ARI produces. They demonstrate depth and breadth of knowledge in their fields, and they are very effective at communicating those ideas. I've never seen any other intellectual organization that put out such high quality people in such high percentage.

I'm speaking of people like Yaron Brook, Alex Epstein, Keith Lockitch, Thomas Bowden, Onkar Ghate, Elan Journo , et. al. Not to mention the highest level intellectuals, such as Leonard Peikoff and Harry Binswanger.

These guys are awesome! They are well reasoned, well spoken, calm and courageous.

A great example is Keith Lockitch here: http://arc-tv.com/heretical-views/

Tara Smith is of particular interest to me. She's got more action with the ARI directly than most other professional philosophers.

Edwin A. Locke is also beast.

I don't know what connection men like Alan Gotthelf have with the ARI, but he is one of the best intellectuals out there.

Tara Smith is of particular interest to me. She's got more action with the ARI directly than most other professional philosophers.

Edwin A. Locke is also beast.

I don't know what connection men like Alan Gotthelf have with the ARI, but he is one of the best intellectuals out there.

Alan Gotthelf has been around a long time. He's an Aristotelian scholar and was a good friend of Ayn Rand's. They did research together.

Alan Gotthelf, Harry Binswanger, Edwin Locke, Andrew Bernstein, John Ridpath, Thomas Bowden, Peter Schwartz and Tara Smith were not educated at ARI, but I think all have been used by ARI.

The great thing is there are other excellent names I could mention.

Alan Gotthelf has been around a long time. He's an Aristotelian scholar and was a good friend of Ayn Rand's. They did research together.

Alan Gotthelf, Harry Binswanger, Edwin Locke, Andrew Bernstein, John Ridpath, Thomas Bowden, Peter Schwartz and Tara Smith were not educated at ARI, but I think all have been used by ARI.

The great thing is there are other excellent names I could mention.

I knew he'd been associated for awhile, didn't know that he knew Rand personally though. Very cool.

As for a vote for intellectual heir, it's too bad Binswanger is too old :). Tara Smith might be a good choice, as she is arguably the most prominent figure of Objectivism in the realm of academic philosophy, and I think that is the next step for Rand's ideas; the universities. It would be good to have someone who is relatively young and involved to get such a position.

However, I'm not sure of the possibility of Peikoff naming another as intellectual heir. Forty more years of Peikoff please :D

Edited by TheEgoist

However, I'm not sure of the possibility of Peikoff naming another as intellectual heir. Forty more years of Peikoff please :)

I don't particularly like the idea of naming "intellectual heirs". Does anybody know exactly where Rand named Peikoff her "intellectual" (as opposed to legal) heir? I've never been able to find the reference. Peikoff became the intellectual leader of the Objectivist movement after Rand's death in large measure because he earned it through his lectures and writing. His would-be successors should do the same, and we should each judge the quality of their intellectual product ourselves.

Personally I've got my eye on Greg Salmieri. He's still young, but he's an impressive intellect. I know Gotthelf thinks very highly of him. (Which isn't surprising, as Gotthelf was one of his advisors at UPitt.)