Objectivism Online Forum

Hello, I'm new

Rate this topic

A friend of mine told me about this website and admittedly I came here for all the wrong reasons. I basically came to this website to take part in a conversation that was going on in the chat room. At first that was all I intended to do and never come back, but there are some interesting people in the chat.

Anyways, I'm not an objectivist and I am not really sure what one is. I have a basic understanding, but would anyone care to explain to me this philosophy? I read the brief summary on Aynrand.org and I am still confused. Anyone want to dumb it down for me please? :D

It's a philosophy for living your life, here and now in this life, in this reality, not as a brain in a jar or some sort of sacrificial animal or at the whim and caprice of some unseen unknowable all powerful boogeyman/deity.

If you really want to learn you have to study it. Nothing worth having ever comes cheap or easy.

Welcome to OO.net

I read the brief summary on Aynrand.org ...
Do you mean this summary?
... and I am still confused. Anyone want to dumb it down for me please? :D
What aspect of that do you have questions about? What are the questions?

Hello, Colton. While non-Objectivists are welcome, this forum isn't really a good place to *learn* about Objectivism. That needs to be done by reading Ayn Rand's writings yourself and thinking about them yourself. In general, the members on the forum will assume that you have a basic familiarity with the philosophy and you may not gain much from the discussions because you won't know the underlying rationale or terminology.

If you do desire to post and ask questions, try to keep your questions as focused as possible and keep an eye out for underlying assumptions that may be different from the ones you have.

A friend of mine told me about this website and admittedly I came here for all the wrong reasons. I basically came to this website to take part in a conversation that was going on in the chat room. At first that was all I intended to do and never come back, but there are some interesting people in the chat.

Anyways, I'm not an objectivist and I am not really sure what one is. I have a basic understanding, but would anyone care to explain to me this philosophy? I read the brief summary on Aynrand.org and I am still confused. Anyone want to dumb it down for me please? :)

Hi Colton,

You may want to note that asking Objectivists to "dumb things down" is likely to get a hostile response.

Objectivist philosophy is about the opposite- never dumbing things-anything-down.

I'm going to pretend what you really mean is "I don't know where to start so could you give me some samples"? :P

Any topic you are interested in will have a link here:

http://aynrandlexicon.com/

I would suggest finding some topics of interest, reading the provided Objectivist position from the link and then perhaps coming back to pose questions such as "in regard to Ayn Rand's position on A, what would be best for a novice to read further on the topic?"

Objectivism is never about someone else doing the work for you.

Any information you get here is going to have to be earned by doing some work of your own.

Objectivism is, as has already been noted, a philosophy about living- and truly living means not having things spoon fed.

I hope you're willing to do the work and stick around.