Objectivism Online Forum

Artist statement accompanying a painting

Rate this topic

brianleepainter

Hello,

I was recently notified that one of my paintings (an oil painting of a creek inspired by a trip to

a greenbelt that I value) was accepted into a local art gallery, upon this acceptance the owner

also asked if an accompanying artist statement and biography could be included. I was excited

as this is my first painting to be showcased in a gallery, although a very small and crowded one, and

I put some thought into an artist statement that would stand for an important part of individual rights.

Being that the painting is of a landscape I thought it would be appropriate to create a statement around

private property, in this case to own part of nature. I think the painting should stand on its own, as is, it

is a landscape that I had created to capture reality according to my value judgments, only including the

essentials and omitting any negative element.

I would really appreciate feedback from an Objective audience. Imagine that this is to be included in a binder

along with other artist's statements and biographies. As an Objectivist browsing an art gallery would you be

pleased to view this statement. Would it take away from the painting somehow or enhance the experience of

attending a gallery?:

post-7444-1266710065_thumb.jpg

I had spoken to a good friend about the statement and he pointed out that while I'm

writing about the right to own property, greenbelts included, I created the painting

at a greenbelt that is currently owned by the city. This did concern me and I had thought

it over that day. I'm trying to send a message in the statement that the most beautiful things

come from people and their actions to gain and keep something of value; if people value the

woods then its full potential of showcasing it is best established under someone's ownership.

Thank you!

We don't have the painting, but from what you describe the painting itself does not support the notion of private property. From what you describe, the painting does seem to illustrate the positive value where a hand of man is involved (as opposed to "raw, untouched nature").

You know best what the picture really says; and it would be silly for someone else to suggest a theme without seeing it. I'd only suggest you don't write more into the painting than is actually in it.

Thank you softwareNerd, you are correct in that the painting viewed in no way shows even a hint towards private property.

When viewed it is simply a landscape, with no human created structures or figures included. The painting when viewed does

depict "raw and untouched nature."

post-7444-1266712043_thumb.jpg

I think the look of the wild is beautiful, and I do think that this look is a value which can be kept in this way under someones

care. I look at other artists statements, ones that promote Christianity and innate "God given talent", and I certainly in no

way want to be associated with that. I don't want to be thought to support environmentalism either, rather I want to explicitly

show where I stand as an artist, in this case in the form of a written statement. Perhaps this would be better included

under a biography, but I have written a separate item entitled a biography that I would prefer to keep separate.

I've read your statement and looked at your painting. I find that the statement has nothing all to do with the painting, and neither do the quotations of Von Mises and Rand. Furthermore the title, "Privatization", is fitting for the statement but not for the painting.

John Link

Edited by John Link

Thank you SoftwareNerd and John Link for your responses. I see that it is inappropriate to try and link a painting with a title that is

dependent on the statement for any connection to be created. Like you had said, the statement and title do work together while the

title and painting do not share a similar statement. After further thinking about the three elements;title,painting and statement I realize

that the painting equipped with a title does not share a similarity and therefore does not stand alone without the statement. My thinking

behind this trio was to have the audience enjoy the painting for what it is, be curious about the title and this in turn would help lead them

to reading the statement which does connect with the title.

I won't make this disassociation in the future, and if I choose to write anything at all in regards to the painting it will be done on a blog

or another medium, removed from the context of a gallery, under a label such as "musings" or "food for thought".

Most placards that I read in galleries are brief descriptions of the specific artworks and/or interesting aspects of what the artists think of feel about them.

The only sentence from your statement that I would keep while rewriting it is, "I often venture into the woods to seek out an area that inspires me."

The rest comes across to me as bludgeoning the reader with messages and lessons. It's a little frantic. It's more about Ayn Rand and propagating her definitions and ideas than it is about selling your art. Not to be too much of a smart-ass, but I half-expected to see a copy of Atlas Shrugged in a frame, glued into the center of your painting.

Anyway, I like your art. I think you're very talented. Good luck with your gallery show and your career.

J

Jonathan13, I really appreciate your comment and it has helped me very much. I see that the painting

doesn't speak for itself, and suffers with the addition of the statement.

I was too caught up in being inspired my great minds that I didn't put forth enough thought into

planing out the "big picture" and overall purpose of the landscape painting. In hindsight I can say

that I'm embarrassed by the presentation that I put forth, so next time I'll be sure to let the painting

stand for a 1000 words which actually represent the title and integrate into the statement if I choose to

include one.

After having listened to some advice from a good friend and later reading your helpful response I have

decided to try and re-create a statement that is actually suiting to the painting. I do hope that the gallery

owner will allow for an updated version and title.

Also, thank you for the kind words towards my paintings, they certainly help to remind me to keep pushing

myself to progress faster and try to achieve more.

A quick search via Google returned some perhaps helpful discussions of just what an artist's statement is and should be, and how to write one.

As a start, these might be helpful:

"Your Artist Statement: Explaining the Unexplainable"

"How to Write a Good Artist Statement and Resume"

"How to write an Artist Statement"

Trebor, thank you for the links which were of great help in thinking of what to include and what to omit

in the statment. The gallery owner accepted my new title, "Sunlit Creek" along with this statement:

"

Artist Statement on “Sunlit Creek”

I often venture into the woods in pursuit of an area that will inspire me to recreate it in paint. A trip to a special greenbelt last fall presented an opportunity to represent the effect of the much-appreciated rain that filled the previously parched creek bed. I was captivated by the reflections glistening atop the water in addition to the individual rocks that were bathed by the warm sunlight as they receded into the far bank. With this goal in mind I could then work on bringing color into the landscape.

"