Objectivism Online Forum

Voting For President

Rate this topic

Sesklo

The last presidential election was the first time I was old enough to vote, so I researched the candidates and decided who I wanted to vote for. For local offices, there were a few candidates that I at least felt comfortable with, even if I didn't agree with all their ideas. I did not vote for president because I found all options to be so lacking.

So, this time around, I am again wondering if I should vote for president or abstain. Third parties don't have a chance (and who am I supposed to vote for- Nader? Heh). Kerry's ideas about socialized healthcare and Bush's religious fervor both scare the hell out of me. I don't like the "lesser of two evils" strategy, but I think Kerry scares me more.

What do you guys think? Should a person vote only in elections when there is a good candidate? What do you think about the "lesser of two evils" strategy that so many people follow when voting? Just curious to find out what other Objectivists do on election day. :D

This is a popular topic on some other areas-so I thought I'd just redirect you to them.

One is Should We Vote In Today's Society?

Another is Half-battle Vs. No Battle

There is also A Voter's Method?

And then to get a bit more specific,

Open Reply To Prof John Lewis, Platonic Conservatism is not the Issue

And

After Kerry Wins . . .

I hope those help you out in answering what questions you had :lol: