Objectivism Online Forum

Census

Rate this topic

We got our census form today. It must be the short form, but I'm strongly disinclined to provide any information other than the number of people living at this address. I'm particularly disgusted with the questions on race, but I don't see why I need to give name, date of birth, or sex either. Yes, I know that the government already knows everything about me, but still, I find it intrusive and offensive.

Two questions:

1. What information is the government authorized to collect based on the Constitution?

2. And what will happen if I don't fill out the whole form?

3372618-8650727506227835378?l=www.dianahsieh.com%2Fblog%2Findex.shtml
2C8QHaj4pVE

Cross-posted from Metablog

We got our census form today. It must be the short form, but I'm strongly disinclined to provide any information other than the number of people living at this address. I'm particularly disgusted with the questions on race, but I don't see why I need to give name, date of birth, or sex either. Yes, I know that the government already knows everything about me, but still, I find it intrusive and offensive.

Two questions:

[*]What information is the government authorized to collect based on the Constitution?

According to the Constitution, the census is the means by which your district and state is allocated representation in Congress. Therefore the only thing you owe, by law, are the names and ages of the people in your household. Period.

Bob Kolker

1.What information is the government authorized to collect based on the Constitution?

http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/greenslade.htm

Title 13, United States Code 221 still states that the maximum fine is $100. This section of the code is still on the books.

However, Title 18 U.S.C. Section 3571 and Section 3559 states that the fine for anyone over 18 years old who refuses or willfully neglects to complete the questionnaire or answer questions posed by census takers from a fine of not more than $100 to not more than $5,000.

But, Section 3571 states that The $5,000.00 fine referenced in section 3571 is a post conviction fine that only applies to an individual who has been charged and convicted of a criminal infraction as defined in section 3559. Unless an individual has been charged and convicted of some criminal offense connected to the Census and the crime is classified as an infraction, this $5,000.00 fine does not apply.

Edited by 2046

Two questions:

1. What information is the government authorized to collect based on the Constitution?

After receiving the long form in 2000, I stated the number of people and referenced the Consitution, Article 1, Section 2 which outlines what the census is for and mailed it in.

A few months later, there were some handwritten notes, one containing a phone number, stating that they stopped by in regard to the census.

On a side note, I researched the telephone number online, drove over to the address I found, knocked on the door, and when their daughter answered the door, inquired if her mom or dad was at home. She told me that they were not. I handed her the note, mentioned that it had been left on my porch and I was returning it.

I have not heard anything since.