Objectivism Online Forum

Quote from Dexter

Rate this topic

Jake

I saw an episode of Dexter tonight with a good quote from the main character regarding his adoptive father:

I know the truth, because Harry always told me the truth. He had to; he was teaching me principles - a code. He knew what I would become without it.

The quote reminded me of why I will tell my son that Santa Claus is just a story.

• 1 month later...

If you watch the show, you understand that WHAT the code or principle is exactly is more important than merely having one.

I am amazed that I like this show. I hated it for the first few episodes but really got into it in the last few. The main character may not be a moral paragon but It's always interesting when he gets fits of being "human". That, and who doesn't like to see the trash getting taken out :twisted:

I enjoy Dexter tremendously. Dexter, of course, is morally in the wrong - but you can't really feel TOO much remorse over his choice of victims. Particularly when the law has failed, and Dexter cleans up the mess.

But - I think I remember that quote. That was season 1, wasn't it? I think so - because over time his faith in Harry will be shaken. (Will not say more for risk of spoiling). Except that I wish Sept. would hurry up and get here. Can't wait for Season 5. :twisted:

I enjoy Dexter tremendously. Dexter, of course, is morally in the wrong - but you can't really feel TOO much remorse over his choice of victims. Particularly when the law has failed, and Dexter cleans up the mess.

But - I think I remember that quote. That was season 1, wasn't it? I think so - because over time his faith in Harry will be shaken. (Will not say more for risk of spoiling). Except that I wish Sept. would hurry up and get here. Can't wait for Season 5. :twisted:

As do I. I think the show points out the feeble nature of our justice system. It also touches on some interesting philosophical ideas like justice and what it means to be human. Any show that makes me think is not only rare, but extremely entertaining.

It was season 1. I'm just now starting season 2. Season 2 opened up with a sledgehammer.

As do I. I think the show points out the feeble nature of our justice system. It also touches on some interesting philosophical ideas like justice and what it means to be human. Any show that makes me think is not only rare, but extremely entertaining.

It was season 1. I'm just now starting season 2. Season 2 opened up with a sledgehammer.

Ohh - you're in for a ride! You ain't seen NOTHING yet.

I've read the books and I've seen all the seasons of Dexter so far. There are aspects I like about each, but the Dexter in the TV series and the Dexter of the book are NOT the same by a long stretch.

*** Book Spoilers ***

One of the story lines they elected to drop from the TV version involves Cody showing early signs of being like Dexter. Dexter is "thrilled" that he has a chance to mold his own little monster. But make no mistake, the Dexter of the book is completely incapable of emotion. He simulates it really well, but it is very clear in the book that he is only simulating emotional responses. Dexter in the TV series actually does have some empathy and compassion for the people who are "close" to him.

The other thing about the books (and this I do not like) is that the "Dark Passenger" appears to be an actual entity, not just a metaphor for Dexter's dark side. There is a supernatural element to the Dexter in the books. I think the series on TV plays better without the supernatural element.

Wait 'till you see what a fun guy Dick Solomon from "Third Rock from the Sun" can be, on an uncensored outlet.

Oh my gosh he had so many awesome moments. Lithgow (sp?) was *perfect* for his role in Season 4. What an incredible insight into a broken mind.

You know, I think that's why I like the show so much. The Dexter character also has a ... damaged mind, if you will.

I enjoy Dexter very much, and am currently in the middle of season 3.

I agree with this; however, considering the "broken" state of Dexter's mind (and assuming you accept the premise that such a state is actually possible), I think he has made the best of his situation in a way. In any case, I can't help but sympathize with him, in spite of his lawlessness (this, of course, is what the creators of the program are trying to achieve).

I've read the books and I've seen all the seasons of Dexter so far. There are aspects I like about each, but the Dexter in the TV series and the Dexter of the book are NOT the same by a long stretch.

I actually really want to read the books having recently learned the show was based on them. I don't read many novels, but I will definitely be picking up "Darkly Dreaming Dexter'. There is always something missing when a book is turned into a visual experience.

... over time his faith in Harry will be shaken...

This is another reason I can't stop watching. Harry seems to be a 'god'. I want to see Dexter realize that he is capable of his own choices. I want to see Dexter realize he is an individual that can adapt to what life has to offer.

I want to see Dexter become human.

I actually really want to read the books having recently learned the show was based on them. I don't read many novels, but I will definitely be picking up "Darkly Dreaming Dexter'. There is always something missing when a book is turned into a visual experience.

I read DDD. I have not read any of the sequels.

I warn you now. You will be disappointed. Dexter is, in the estimation of myself and many others, one of the few cases where the show is better than the book.

I give full credit to the author for the originality of the idea behind Dexter - but in my opinion author had a great idea, but, sadly, lacked the matching talent. It is Michael C Hall and the Showtime Production and Writing staff that were able to exercise the concept as a truly great work of art.

...Michael C Hall and the Showtime Production and Writing staff that were able to exercise the concept as a truly great work of art.

Michael C. Hall is quickly becoming one of my favorites. At first I found him unconvincing, but as the show goes on and Dexter has those little "emotional spurts" I can see that this man needs a movie. A good one. And soon.

Michael C. Hall is quickly becoming one of my favorites. At first I found him unconvincing, but as the show goes on and Dexter has those little "emotional spurts" I can see that this man needs a movie. A good one. And soon.

He's great as Dexter (because it doesn't require showing any emotion), but I saw him recently in a movie called Gamer, and his acting was awful. (as was the movie, but the acting was awful all by itself)

I like Michael C. Hall in Dexter, and I liked him in 6ft Under. I saw Gamer, and while I wasn't impressed with him in that movie, I didn't think he had a bad performance in relation to anyone he was acting beside. I'm wary of blaming the actors when there are several bad performances in the same movie. If so many people in one movie aren't cutting it, I suspect poor directing and scriptwriting.

I like Michael C. Hall in Dexter, and I liked him in 6ft Under.

I also liked him in Six Feet Under, not to mention liking the series itself. SFU had (for me) probably one of the most emotional final episodes I've ever seen.

For those that did not know, Michael C. Hall was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma earlier this year. It is currently in remission and he is still getting treatment. i've read that they still plan to film another season of Dexter later this year.

He's great as Dexter (because it doesn't require showing any emotion), but I saw him recently in a movie called Gamer, and his acting was awful. (as was the movie, but the acting was awful all by itself)

I beg to differ. Whenever he "connects" with someone (I can't say any more for fear of spoilers) he really convinces me of that connection. Most of the time he doesn't have to show any real emotion, but when the opportunity arises for Dexter to be himself I think Hall does an absolutely incredible job of portraying a man who has to hide himself 99% of the time.

Gamer sounds like a joke. I think it would be unfair to judge his acting abilities outside the show on such rubbish.

• 2 weeks later...

I read the first book after seeing the first season or two (don't remember how much was actually aired on network TV, I don't have cable), and I was mildly disappointed. I think the acting on the show is pretty bad other than Dexter, and Harry in flashbacks, so I was looking forward to reading it. It turns out the author actually wrote the police force to be completely incompetent idiots, which lacks realism in my mind. Say what you want about police detectives, but they can't ALL be that stupid. So the acting on the show is probably not the fault of the actors, as I imagine it is very difficult trying to bring life to a paper thin character. I suppose the police are intentionally portrayed as two-dimensional caricatures, but it makes it a little frustrating to watch at times.

Gamer sounds like a joke. I think it would be unfair to judge his acting abilities outside the show on such rubbish.

Particularly when there are six seasons of Six Feet Under which can also be referenced when judging his acting ability. He does an excellent job with his character David in that series.