Objectivism Online Forum

Just a friendly reminder that as a business owner, you belong to the s

Rate this topic

http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.com/201...applicants.html

:D

I don't understand how employers who do credit checks violate liberties in any way. Nobody is forced to deal with a company that does credit checks. An employer who wants to know if their prospective candidates credit scores are good has the prerogative to refuse to hire or fire someone. Employers are not public servants. They do not have a pre-existing duty to give people jobs.

Do I think it's right to refuse to hire someone because of their credit score? Not necessarily. Having bad credit doesn't necessarily make you a bad candidate for, say, bagging groceries. It may be a very irrational business decision on the part of employers. Nonetheless, it's the employer's prerogative to do this. If you don't like credit checks, YOU start a business, YOU hire candidates without doing credit checks, and YOU do it.

I'm absolutely appalled by the comments on this article. :dough: I never thought people could honestly be this stupid.

Edited by Black Wolf

I don't understand how employers who do credit checks violate liberties in any way. Nobody is forced to deal with a company that does credit checks. An employer who wants to know if their prospective candidates credit scores are good has the prerogative to refuse to hire or fire someone. Employers are not public servants. They do not have a pre-existing duty to give people jobs.

Do I think it's right to refuse to hire someone because of their credit score? Not necessarily. Having bad credit doesn't necessarily make you a bad candidate for, say, bagging groceries. It may be a very irrational business decision on the part of employers. Nonetheless, it's the employer's prerogative to do this. If you don't like credit checks, YOU start a business, YOU hire candidates without doing credit checks, and YOU do it.

I'm absolutely appalled by the comments on this article. :dough: I never thought people could honestly be this stupid.

As a business owner I can tell you that every month new laws, fees and taxes get passed that show the extent to which there is no longer any such thing as private property.

This is just more of the same.

While at my small business I don't run credit checks (but then again I don't often need to hire as my employee retention is good) I can tell you that while credit check wouldn't be the sole determining factor in a hire it is useful. It can tell you something about a person's nature..did they live beyond their means? Statistics have shown that there is a large tracable correlation (suprise!) between people living beyond their means and workplace theft.

I would treat someone who bought a house, two cars they couldn't afford, maxed out 6 credit cards and missed payments differently in a job application process than someone who was $500k in debt because of a family medical catastrophe.

I'm sure that this doesn't apply to government jobs, right? Who could have thought. Credit and BG checks are definitely a good idea for many positions at both private and government level. There's no way the government is going to stop doing it, and they shouldn't, so forcing private business to quit is very arbitrary and unequal use of the law.

There are now states where you have to take a state licensure exam to be a florist.

In many states (mine included) you have to be licensed by the state to work in a restaurant, in any capacity including dishwasher.

You need a license to handle any food, and a license to handle beverages.

The right to work is gone, the right to own is gone. Lets just face the facts. The USA is no longer free in any way shape or form.

• 2 weeks later...

As a homeowner within the city limits, I don't have a right to improve my property unless a city bureaucrat approves of it. I'm trying to build a fence this spring and I have to go through all kinds of crap to get it done. I have to file a permit, an inspector has to approve how deep I dig the post holes, the fence can't be over six feet high, etc. Don't get me started on the idiotic restrictions I have to go through for building a shed. Why does the city care if my shed is more than five feet away from the "primary" structure?

Forget what the property title states, I don't "own" my house, I just rent it from the city. B)

Although I agree with your frustrations and it is wrong of the city to do this (alas they pretty much all do), I have to disagree with one thing you said: if you didn't own it there's no way you could sell it and make money doing so.

I often run into your statement from people complaining about property taxes and I have to remind them that if they were *truly* renting their property they wouldn't be able to sell it and pocket the cash. What property tax ultimately is, I tell them, is not so much rental but a protection racket.

I am not sure how to characterize these sorts of land use restrictions (a combination of zoning and the building code, in this case) in an equally concise way (a protection racket just wants you to pay money, not use your property in a certain way), but "I just rent it from the city" isn't quite it.

I'm sure that this doesn't apply to government jobs, right? Who could have thought. Credit and BG checks are definitely a good idea for many positions at both private and government level. There's no way the government is going to stop doing it, and they shouldn't, so forcing private business to quit is very arbitrary and unequal use of the law.

So the government is doing whatever it wants, but the private sector is only doing what is legally permitted.

Wonderful.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I am a business owner.

I find the credit reporting agencies to be appalling. Lots of agencies rely on the Equifaxes and Experians of the world to give them the information they need for a prospective employee's credit status. That despite the fact that the information these reporting agencies have on hand is often out of date and not accurate.

Given these tough economic times, it's going to be very difficult to find a candidate with clean credit. If that's a major criterion for a businessman to hire help, and not consider the candidate's track record or talent, then that businessman should prepare to spend long hours getting his work done, because he'll have trouble finding qualified candidates.

One other thought- I do not think the State has any right to ban employers from doing credit checks.